Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default programming delima

I will try to explain my problem. I am tring to get excel to go to lets say
cell O26 which has a drop down text menu of three categories. It then needs
to go to cells AR3:AZ3 and match the header fo the column. Once it is done
then I need it to gp to cell O58 which is a numberic number and then go back
to cells below AR3:AZ3 and find the closest match (not exact number) and then
once both are done go back to the left and produce the number listed there.
ie like this:

O26 = metal AR3:AZ3 = level copper metal zinc
O58 is say 28 under metal the numbers are 20, 30, 40,
80,120,170,230.300,380,470,570, under copper is
18,27,45,72,108.153.207.270.342.423.513. zinc is another 11 set of
numbers.Since the numbers under metal are 20 and then 30 it shoudl pick up 20
then go to the left where AR3 is 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and put the
appropiate number in G58. the correct answer is 0. I have tried vlookup etc,
i have tried match with index but this is well over my head, any help is
greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"Khanjohn" wrote in message
[...]

thanks for the response. I have done as you requested and hopefully you can
help me out.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I got your file and tried to respond but my reply was refused?????
I really don't understand what you are doing? You are going to have to get
very specific. Who and where are you, who do you work for and what is this
for?

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"khanjohn" wrote in message

"Don Guillett" wrote:

If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look
if:

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"Khanjohn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have no clue why you would have gotten a refusal to my email address. I
replied back to you again explaining who, what etc. I am not sure hwo to make
it much clearer than I did.

"Khanjohn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This is an array formula that finds the closest match to cell o26 based on
the drop down
Array formulas must be entered using ctrl+shift+enter instead of just enter
=IF($O$26="Standard",INDEX($AE$27:$AE$38,MATCH(MIN (ABS($AE$27:$AE$38-S42)),ABS($AE$27:$AE$38-S42),0),1),IF($O$26="Fast",INDEX($AF$27:$AF$38,MAT CH(MIN(ABS($AF$27:$AF$38-S42)),ABS($AF$27:$AF$38-S42),0),1),INDEX($AG$27:$AG$38,MATCH(MIN(ABS($AG$2 7:$AG$38-S42)),ABS($AG$27:$AG$38-S42),0),1)))

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Khanjohn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you but this really has confused me. the index for standard would be
AG27:AG37, the index for fast is AI27;AI37 and for slow is AK27:AK37 and
Level is Ac27:AC37. I am not sure where you got -S42 from as nothing I had is
in that block as it is blank. Let me try once more to explain.

O26 contains the drop down menu for standard, fast and slow. I know it
should index/match the columns from the chart, what it also needs to do is
match the number found in O58 and match it against the proper column
(standard,fast,slow), once it has done both it then needs to find the number
from Level that corresponds to the number it found from O58 and then place
that value in G58. so in my example that i put in all the colors it should be
drop down(O26 = fast. then it finds the fast column and should i guess index
it. then it gets the 25 from O58 and looks down the fast column and finds the
closest which is 18 (i messed up oin example and put 20, sorry). then it goes
to the left to Level column and finds 0 and places it in G58. i then have to
do that for the next 100+ in columns starting at O59+ and G59+

"Khanjohn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I copied some things to a new area for MY testing. I will try again to send
you the workbook.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Khanjohn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sent msg and got this from ...Mail Administrator

Your message was not delivered because the return address was refused.

The return address was "

The following websites may contain more information to assist you:

http://help.rr.com/HMSLogic/rrmail.aspx

http://security.rr.com/help.htm

http://security.rr.com/contact.htm

Please do not reply to this message, as it will go to an unread
mailbox

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel