Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Numbers disguised as Text - Sorting Delima

I have a spreadsheet where it appears there are numbers in column A. To my
surprise they are acutally represented as text. I used the =isnumber formula
to test which came back false. What i need to do is convert these alpha
numbers to actual text in order to sort. Is there a way to do this?
--
Sandi Gardner
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I select an empty cell
edit|copy
select column A
edit|Paste special|Check Add

(and maybe reformat the column)

Sandi wrote:

I have a spreadsheet where it appears there are numbers in column A. To my
surprise they are acutally represented as text. I used the =isnumber formula
to test which came back false. What i need to do is convert these alpha
numbers to actual text in order to sort. Is there a way to do this?
--
Sandi Gardner

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave - I saw where you had posted that response to someone else's request
and I tried that but it doesn't work for me. I tried the LEN function and i
can tell that there are hidden characters within the text. Not sure how to
fix this, but it's driving me crazy.
--
Sandi Gardner

Sandi wrote:

I have a spreadsheet where it appears there are numbers in column A. To my
surprise they are acutally represented as text. I used the =isnumber formula
to test which came back false. What i need to do is convert these alpha
numbers to actual text in order to sort. Is there a way to do this?
--
Sandi Gardner

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe you have other stuff in that cell.

It might be one of those HTML non-breaking space characters.

David McRitchie has a macro that cleans up this kind of stuff:

(look for "Sub Trimall()")