Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Guillett Don Guillett is offline

Default programming delima

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"Khanjohn" wrote in message
I will try to explain my problem. I am tring to get excel to go to lets say
cell O26 which has a drop down text menu of three categories. It then
needs
to go to cells AR3:AZ3 and match the header fo the column. Once it is done
then I need it to gp to cell O58 which is a numberic number and then go
back
to cells below AR3:AZ3 and find the closest match (not exact number) and
then
once both are done go back to the left and produce the number listed
there.
ie like this:

O26 = metal AR3:AZ3 = level copper metal zinc
O58 is say 28 under metal the numbers are 20, 30, 40,
80,120,170,230.300,380,470,570, under copper is
18,27,45,72,108.153.207.270.342.423.513. zinc is another 11 set of
numbers.Since the numbers under metal are 20 and then 30 it shoudl pick up
20
then go to the left where AR3 is 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and put the
appropiate number in G58. the correct answer is 0. I have tried vlookup
etc,
i have tried match with index but this is well over my head, any help is
greatly appreciated.