Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Wierd range name defined as array of constants?!?

I have a spreadsheet with some range names in it (at least that's what I
think they are) whose definitions dont look like [file]'sheet'!range, and
whose names have periods, which is normally illegal.

For example:
wrn.Assumptions.

is defined as
={"Assumptions",#N/A,FALSE,"Model"}

I can see these names only from code, i.e., by enumerating
ThisWorkbook.Names -- they don't appear in Insert/Name/Define,
Insert/Name/Paste/List or Goto or anywhere else, and there are no formulas
which refer to any of these names. And when I try to delete them in code,
they won't go away.

What are these, and how do I get rid of them?

--
Andy Smith
Senior Systems Analyst

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If yo have 2003 then look under this menu

file - Properties - Custom - Properties

These may be queries or tables that have been added into the workbook. the
only way of deleting them is to delete the data in the Assumption worksheet.
Highlight the entire worksheet using Cntl- A and then press the delete key.

"Andy Smith" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with some range names in it (at least that's what I
think they are) whose definitions dont look like [file]'sheet'!range, and
whose names have periods, which is normally illegal.

For example:
wrn.Assumptions.

is defined as
={"Assumptions",#N/A,FALSE,"Model"}

I can see these names only from code, i.e., by enumerating
ThisWorkbook.Names -- they don't appear in Insert/Name/Define,
Insert/Name/Paste/List or Goto or anywhere else, and there are no formulas
which refer to any of these names. And when I try to delete them in code,
they won't go away.

What are these, and how do I get rid of them?

--
Andy Smith
Senior Systems Analyst
Standard & Poor''s, NYC

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There are no custom properties, and there's no worksheet named "Assumptions"
-- I checked even the very hidden sheets.

--
Andy Smith
Senior Systems Analyst

"Andy Smith" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with some range names in it (at least that's what I
think they are) whose definitions dont look like [file]'sheet'!range, and
whose names have periods, which is normally illegal.

For example:
wrn.Assumptions.

is defined as
={"Assumptions",#N/A,FALSE,"Model"}

I can see these names only from code, i.e., by enumerating
ThisWorkbook.Names -- they don't appear in Insert/Name/Define,
Insert/Name/Paste/List or Goto or anywhere else, and there are no formulas
which refer to any of these names. And when I try to delete them in code,
they won't go away.

What are these, and how do I get rid of them?

--
Andy Smith
Senior Systems Analyst
Standard & Poor''s, NYC

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Defined names are actually Named Formulae, although most people call them
Named Ranges because thats what they are most often used for.

So you can define a name as any valid Excel formula, which includes arrays
of constants or things like Dynamic Range Names.

You should be able to delete them using code, or try using Name Manager
(download from http://www.decisionmodels.com/downloads.htm)

Charles
___________________________________
The Excel Calculation Site

"Andy Smith" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with some range names in it (at least that's what I
think they are) whose definitions dont look like [file]'sheet'!range, and
whose names have periods, which is normally illegal.

For example:
wrn.Assumptions.

is defined as
={"Assumptions",#N/A,FALSE,"Model"}

I can see these names only from code, i.e., by enumerating
ThisWorkbook.Names -- they don't appear in Insert/Name/Define,
Insert/Name/Paste/List or Goto or anywhere else, and there are no formulas
which refer to any of these names. And when I try to delete them in code,
they won't go away.

What are these, and how do I get rid of them?

--
Andy Smith
Senior Systems Analyst
Standard & Poor''s, NYC

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've tried deleting them in code. I even do On Error Resume Next and
Err.Clear before deleting each one, and checking Err.Number afterward, and
it's zero every time. They don't go away.

--
Andy Smith
Senior Systems Analyst

"Andy Smith" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with some range names in it (at least that's what I
think they are) whose definitions dont look like [file]'sheet'!range, and
whose names have periods, which is normally illegal.

For example:
wrn.Assumptions.

is defined as
={"Assumptions",#N/A,FALSE,"Model"}

I can see these names only from code, i.e., by enumerating
ThisWorkbook.Names -- they don't appear in Insert/Name/Define,
Insert/Name/Paste/List or Goto or anywhere else, and there are no formulas
which refer to any of these names. And when I try to delete them in code,
they won't go away.

What are these, and how do I get rid of them?

--
Andy Smith
Senior Systems Analyst
Standard & Poor''s, NYC

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try using Name Manager ...

Charles
___________________________________
The Excel Calculation Site

"Andy Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Excel creates names that it uses (without your permission and usually without
your knowledge).

Do you use any of those tools|Data analysis features?

(I don't recognize which wrn.Assumptions belongs to (or if it really does), but
that's where I'd start.)

Andy Smith wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The only add-ins I have enabled are Analysis Toolpak, Analysis Toolpak VBA
and Solver, and I've never used them. However this spreadsheet comes from
elsewhere, and they might use such tools there. FYI I've searched the code
for all these wierd names, and they're nowhere.

--
Andy Smith
Senior Systems Analyst

Andy Smith wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) Name
Manager:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

(I'm not sure what you mean by searching the code. I didn't mean that you
created the names in your code. I really meant that excel creates them--whether
you like it or not.)