Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Ron de Bruin's Merge - Can I use multiple named ranges??

Hi All

Im strugling to get the merge code to work with multiple named ranges. I
want to collate info from lots of forms. The forms have named ranges in them,
which are scattered throughout the form. Ive tried loads of different ways of
reffering to the ranges, but just cant make it work.

Original pieces of code: SourceRng:="A5:D5", _
also from another file, the piece of code is Set sourceRange = .Range("A1:C1")

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Andrew
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Does this help?:
SourceRng:=Range("A5:D5")
Set sourceRange = Range("A1:C1")

"Andrew P." wrote:

Hi All

Im strugling to get the merge code to work with multiple named ranges. I
want to collate info from lots of forms. The forms have named ranges in them,
which are scattered throughout the form. Ive tried loads of different ways of
reffering to the ranges, but just cant make it work.

Original pieces of code: SourceRng:="A5:D5", _
also from another file, the piece of code is Set sourceRange = .Range("A1:C1")

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Andrew

Do you want to merge worksheets or workbooks ?

Does have each sheet/workbook the same named ranges ?

Give more info so I or anybody else can help you

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Andrew P." wrote in message ...
Hi All

Im strugling to get the merge code to work with multiple named ranges. I
want to collate info from lots of forms. The forms have named ranges in them,
which are scattered throughout the form. Ive tried loads of different ways of
reffering to the ranges, but just cant make it work.

Original pieces of code: SourceRng:="A5:D5", _
also from another file, the piece of code is Set sourceRange = .Range("A1:C1")

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ron

I want to merge worksheets. Each file will have just one worksheet, and the
same named ranges, although it is conceivable that at some time in the
future, some may removed or added. The idea was to have the macro always
refer to the named ranges so that if the form changes, the macro wont need to
be modified and will work with new and old files. There are 37 named ranges -
eg:
ASC_Name =ChangeoverRequest!$B$7
ASC_Phone =ChangeoverRequest!$B$10
Authorised_By =ChangeoverRequest!$C$37
Customer =ChangeoverRequest!$G$13
Customer_Address =ChangeoverRequest!$B$15
Customer_Contact =ChangeoverRequest!$B$14
Customer_Phone =ChangeoverRequest!$G$14
Date_Ordered =ChangeoverRequest!$I$31
Deliver_To =ChangeoverRequest!$C$21
etc....

Thanks a lot!
Andrew

"Andrew P." wrote in message ...
Hi All

Im strugling to get the merge code to work with multiple named ranges. I
want to collate info from lots of forms. The forms have named ranges in them,
which are scattered throughout the form. Ive tried loads of different ways of
reffering to the ranges, but just cant make it work.

Original pieces of code: SourceRng:="A5:D5", _
also from another file, the piece of code is Set sourceRange = .Range("A1:C1")

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Gleam

Sorry, I didnt explain myself well. The reference in there (Range("A5:D5"))
was the original example only, what I needed was lots of named ranges (around
40)to take their place. From what I can work out, the merge seems to want
just one range.
Regards
Andrew

"Gleam" wrote:

Does this help?:
SourceRng:=Range("A5:D5")
Set sourceRange = Range("A1:C1")

"Andrew P." wrote:

Hi All

Im strugling to get the merge code to work with multiple named ranges. I
want to collate info from lots of forms. The forms have named ranges in them,
which are scattered throughout the form. Ive tried loads of different ways of
reffering to the ranges, but just cant make it work.

Original pieces of code: SourceRng:="A5:D5", _
also from another file, the piece of code is Set sourceRange = .Range("A1:C1")

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ron

Except for a few single cells, they are all merged cells, for example:
ASC_Account = B9:C9
Fault = B18:J20
ASC_Address = B8:J8
And so on

Regards
Andrew

"Andrew P." wrote in message ...
Hi All

Im strugling to get the merge code to work with multiple named ranges. I
want to collate info from lots of forms. The forms have named ranges in them,
which are scattered throughout the form. Ive tried loads of different ways of
reffering to the ranges, but just cant make it work.

Original pieces of code: SourceRng:="A5:D5", _
also from another file, the piece of code is Set sourceRange = .Range("A1:C1")

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry a bit late

Try this one that I made fast so look out for errors<g

Change
MyPath = "C:\Users\Ron\test"

And add the names in this line

Addr = Array("name1", "name2", "name3", "name4")

Sub MergeAllWorkbooks()
Dim MyPath As String, FilesInPath As String
Dim MyFiles() As String
Dim SourceRcount As Long, FNum As Long
Dim mybook As Workbook, BaseWks As Worksheet
Dim sourceRange As Range, destrange As Range
Dim rnum As Long, CalcMode As Long
Dim Addr As Variant
Dim N As Long
Dim colnum As Long

'Fill in the path\folder where the files are
MyPath = "C:\Users\Ron\test"

'Add a slash at the end if the user forget it
If Right(MyPath, 1) < "\" Then
MyPath = MyPath & "\"
End If

'If there are no Excel files in the folder exit the sub
FilesInPath = Dir(MyPath & "*.xl*")
If FilesInPath = "" Then
MsgBox "No files found"
Exit Sub
End If

'Fill the array(myFiles)with the list of Excel files in the folder
FNum = 0
Do While FilesInPath < ""
FNum = FNum + 1
ReDim Preserve MyFiles(1 To FNum)
MyFiles(FNum) = FilesInPath
FilesInPath = Dir()
Loop

'Change ScreenUpdating, Calculation and EnableEvents
With Application
CalcMode = .Calculation
.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
.ScreenUpdating = False
.EnableEvents = False
End With

'Add a new workbook with one sheet
Set BaseWks = Workbooks.Add(xlWBATWorksheet).Worksheets(1)
rnum = 1

'Loop through all files in the array(myFiles)
If FNum 0 Then
For FNum = LBound(MyFiles) To UBound(MyFiles)
Set mybook = Nothing
On Error Resume Next
Set mybook = Workbooks.Open(MyPath & MyFiles(FNum))
On Error GoTo 0

If Not mybook Is Nothing Then

BaseWks.Cells(rnum, "A").Value = MyFiles(FNum)

Addr = Array("name1", "name2", "name3", "name4")

colnum = 2
For N = LBound(Addr) To UBound(Addr)

On Error Resume Next
Set sourceRange = Nothing
With mybook.Worksheets(1)
Set sourceRange = .Range(Addr(N))
End With

Set destrange = BaseWks.Cells(rnum, colnum)
destrange.Value = sourceRange.Cells(1).Value

On Error GoTo 0
colnum = colnum + 1
Next N
rnum = rnum + 1

mybook.Close savechanges:=False
End If

Next FNum

BaseWks.Columns.AutoFit
End If

ExitTheSub:
'Restore ScreenUpdating, Calculation and EnableEvents
With Application
.ScreenUpdating = True
.EnableEvents = True
.Calculation = CalcMode
End With

"Andrew P." wrote in message ...
Hi All

Im strugling to get the merge code to work with multiple named ranges. I
want to collate info from lots of forms. The forms have named ranges in them,
which are scattered throughout the form. Ive tried loads of different ways of
reffering to the ranges, but just cant make it work.

Original pieces of code: SourceRng:="A5:D5", _
also from another file, the piece of code is Set sourceRange = .Range("A1:C1")

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Excelent! This is working great - thanks a lot!!!

Just to puch my luck a bit...... I have a "Nice to have" request: Is it
possible to have a header row generated by the named ranges?

Thanks again!
Andrew

"Andrew P." wrote in message ...
Hi All

Im strugling to get the merge code to work with multiple named ranges. I
want to collate info from lots of forms. The forms have named ranges in them,
which are scattered throughout the form. Ive tried loads of different ways of
reffering to the ranges, but just cant make it work.

Original pieces of code: SourceRng:="A5:D5", _
also from another file, the piece of code is Set sourceRange = .Range("A1:C1")

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try this one Andrew

[...]

rnum = 2

Addr = Array("name1", "name2", "name3", "name4")
BaseWks.Cells(1, 2).Resize(, UBound(Addr) + 1).Value = Addr