Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I preserve references to table cells across sort operations

I am fairly new to excel so sorry if this is a basic thing. I am working on
Excel 2007. I am trying to figure out how to reference a cell in a table
(they were known as List in Excel2003) and ensure that my reference gets
updated if the cell moves due to sort order changes.

Lets say I have a table on first sheet and I want to reference cell in col
2, row 2, how do I from sheet two reference this cell in a way that if the
sort order changes and the value I was referncing to moves to row 5, then my
reference gets updated to point to row 5.

Ideally I am looking for a solution that works in Excel 2003 and 2007,
however, would appreciate pointers for a solution that works on either.