Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default calculating based on color

Hi. I've read Chip Pearson's site on calculating based on color, but I'm not
savvy enough to copy it. Does the newer version and/or has anyone found a
easier workaround for identifying or calculating color?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Color is part of the format facility of Excel. It can be applied to font,
interior, lines and fill. If it is applied as conditional format it is at a
different level than if it is applied to the interior. It is not easy to
work with and Chip's code is about as simple as you are going to get.

"beata" wrote in message
Hi. I've read Chip Pearson's site on calculating based on color, but I'm
not
savvy enough to copy it. Does the newer version and/or has anyone found a
easier workaround for identifying or calculating color?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
I have to agree with JLG here.
I've been using Chip's color by sum function for close to two years now, and
I swear by it.

If you're looking for an easier way to apply it, see my code for inserting
it into a cell below.....
This macro is formatted for use in my UIRibbon in Excel 2007.

Sub ColorSum(Control As IRibbonControl)
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=sumbycolor(CellRange,ColorNum,TrueIfFontColo r)"
With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=1, Length:=150).Font
End With
End Sub

I then replace CellRange with a range of cells.
I replace ColorNum with the number of the color I'm using, and want summed.
And I either delete, or replace the TrueIfFontColor with the word "true"
depending on if I'm using font color as my format of choice.

I've gotta say--- this colorbysum function of Chip's is a very worthwhile
tool, and I use it regularly.
You'll be hard-pressed to find a better tool.

"beata" wrote:

Hi. I've read Chip Pearson's site on calculating based on color, but I'm not
savvy enough to copy it. Does the newer version and/or has anyone found a
easier workaround for identifying or calculating color?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks. It looked fairly straight forward and I did "download it" (I'm
ignorant but not timid) but I couldn't figure out how to "bring it in" or
"run it" or whatever one does to integrate it...

is it easy enough to explain on email?