Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
beata beata is offline

Default calculating based on color

Thanks. It looked fairly straight forward and I did "download it" (I'm
ignorant but not timid) but I couldn't figure out how to "bring it in" or
"run it" or whatever one does to integrate it...

is it easy enough to explain on email?

"Steve" wrote:

Hi,
I have to agree with JLG here.
I've been using Chip's color by sum function for close to two years now, and
I swear by it.

If you're looking for an easier way to apply it, see my code for inserting
it into a cell below.....
This macro is formatted for use in my UIRibbon in Excel 2007.

Sub ColorSum(Control As IRibbonControl)
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=sumbycolor(CellRange,ColorNum,TrueIfFontColo r)"
With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=1, Length:=150).Font
End With
End Sub

I then replace CellRange with a range of cells.
I replace ColorNum with the number of the color I'm using, and want summed.
And I either delete, or replace the TrueIfFontColor with the word "true"
depending on if I'm using font color as my format of choice.

I've gotta say--- this colorbysum function of Chip's is a very worthwhile
tool, and I use it regularly.
You'll be hard-pressed to find a better tool.

"beata" wrote:

Hi. I've read Chip Pearson's site on calculating based on color, but I'm not
savvy enough to copy it. Does the newer version and/or has anyone found a
easier workaround for identifying or calculating color?