Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default prvent viewing a workbook

Dear sir,with best regards,asking you kindly to help me by a code to
prevent anyone opening my workbook after one week from starting date ,in
another words ( anyone cannot open the workbook after one week without
entering my password).
Thanks in advance.

--
tofimoon4
tofimoon4's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=138

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

tofimoon4;430307 Wrote:
Dear sir,with best regards,asking you kindly to help me by a code to
prevent anyone opening my workbook after one week from starting date ,in
another words ( anyone cannot open the workbook after one week without
entering my password).
Thanks in advance.You would need to add a worksheet and make all other sheets

xlveryhidden, so that if the workbook is opened with macro's dissabled
they still cannot view the worksheets, then if macro's are enabled you
need to pop up a userform on workbook_open with a textbox and command
button. Is this what you envisaged?

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119540

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dear sir,with many thanks for your interest,i have clarification a bout
this request,i have asked by a company to provide them with a full
program by excel against a sum , i want to give them an experiential
copy(with all details ,without any protection ) before selling ,the
period for checking this copy by them is one week then the agreement
should be signed .
Hopping i was clear .

--
tofimoon4
tofimoon4's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=138
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119540

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Simon,

xlveryhidden, so that if the workbook is opened with macro's dissabled
they still cannot view the worksheets

Even with macros disabled there is nothing to stop a user opening VB editor
and changing the sheet to XlVisible in the properties window.

The reality is that a password to open isn't bad but can easily be broken
with something like passware but once the workbook is open anyone with
sufficient determination and Google can do whatever they want and you can't
stop them.

Excel protection is designed to protect against inadvertant
deletions/changes and we kid ourselves and mislead the inexperienced if we
pretend otherwise.

Mike

"Simon Lloyd" wrote:

tofimoon4;430307 Wrote:
Dear sir,with best regards,asking you kindly to help me by a code to
prevent anyone opening my workbook after one week from starting date ,in
another words ( anyone cannot open the workbook after one week without
entering my password).
Thanks in advance.You would need to add a worksheet and make all other sheets

xlveryhidden, so that if the workbook is opened with macro's dissabled
they still cannot view the worksheets, then if macro's are enabled you
need to pop up a userform on workbook_open with a textbox and command
button. Is this what you envisaged?

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119540

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I understand.

You want to provide potential buyers of your work a demonstration copy that
will expire after a certain time

This is difficult to do with Excel as the security is very easy to "crack"
I suggest you follow Simon's suggestion.
For the code .. just give them the smallest amount that can show what can be
done .. . but not all of it, so that they need to full code for the workbook
to run completely
secure the VBA Project --- use as long a password as possible! it can still
be broken. but if the demo has code removed, then that will not be such a
big problem

I'd also suggest a xlVeryHidden spreadsheet. Onto this, put the date at
which you delivered the workbook. If the system date is earlier, you can
force the book to close again.

good luck

"tofimoon4" wrote in message

Dear sir,with best regards,asking you kindly to help me by a code to
prevent anyone opening my workbook after one week from starting date ,in
another words ( anyone cannot open the workbook after one week without
entering my password).
Thanks in advance.

--
tofimoon4
tofimoon4's Profile:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=138
View this thread:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119540

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mike i am aware of the limitations with excel as i assume most people
are, i was simply giving the OP suggestions as to how it can be
achieved, without the first step of forcing macro's to be enabled his
endeavours will be undone.

To be honest i believe the OP should either convert his workbook to an
exe or find another application if he is to sell his product, however,
if he is to sell a product with user restriction/limitation he would be
wise to first learn how to achieve these himself as maintenance will be
soley down to him :)

QUOTE=Mike H;430334]Simon,

"Simon Lloyd" wrote:

tofimoon4;430307 Wrote:
Dear sir,with best regards,asking you kindly to help me by a code

prevent anyone opening my workbook after one week from starting

date ,in
another words ( anyone cannot open the workbook after one week

without
entering my password).
Thanks in advance.You would need to add a worksheet and make all

other sheets
xlveryhidden, so that if the workbook is opened with macro's

dissabled
they still cannot view the worksheets, then if macro's are enabled

you
need to pop up a userform on workbook_open with a textbox and command
button. Is this what you envisaged?

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
'The Code Cage' ('The Code Cage - Microsoft Office Help - Microsoft

Office Discussion' (http://www.thecodecage.com))

Simon Lloyd's Profile: 'The Code Cage Forums - View Profile: Simon

Lloyd' (http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=1)
View this thread: 'prvent viewing a workbook - The Code Cage Forums'

(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119540)

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119540

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

While not disagreeing with the other advice you have been given, the
protection provided is only of use for protecting the workbook from 'honest'
users making inadverdant changes.

If you hope to sell your workbook then giving a copy away with this type of
'protection' is most unwise and will compromise the possibility of your
selling it if the potential purchaser is inclined not to pay. But there are
methods.

Folow the link below

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/workbooktimebomb.aspx

and this one

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/creatingcomaddin.aspx

Mike

"tofimoon4" wrote:

Dear sir,with many thanks for your interest,i have clarification a bout
this request,i have asked by a company to provide them with a full
program by excel against a sum , i want to give them an experiential
copy(with all details ,without any protection ) before selling ,the
period for checking this copy by them is one week then the agreement
should be signed .
Hopping i was clear .

--
tofimoon4
tofimoon4's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=138
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119540

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dear sirs,i have seen the below code in another forum but donot
understand a sentence written with ,which was (Here is one very simple
method, that is far from secure, but enough for most cases).
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
' Range "DateCheck" Is a named cell on XlVeryHiden Sheet.
If Range("TimeCheck") < vbNullString Then ' Date has been set.
'Check date.
If Range("TimeCheck") < Date - 30 Then 'Expired
'Your passord Code HERE
End If
Else 'Set first Open date
Range("TimeCheck") = Date
Me.Save
Hopping you shall give me your advice about.

--
tofimoon4
tofimoon4's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=138
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119540

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tofimoon4, they are simply stating that excel's security/protection is
very poor!, anyone, even you, with enough determination and google can
bypass excel's security!, you must protect the vba project and you must
use a method to force macro's to be enabled, there is an example here
'Code Cage Downloads - The Code Cage Forums'
(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/lo...tid=2&linkid=3)
that delete's the workbook after a certain date.....if you must go this
route against advice then post back.

tofimoon4;430358 Wrote:
Dear sirs,i have seen the below code in another forum but donot
understand a sentence written with ,which was (Here is one very simple
method, that is far from secure, but enough for most cases).

Code:
--------------------

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
' Range "DateCheck" Is a named cell on XlVeryHiden Sheet.
If Range("TimeCheck") < vbNullString Then ' Date has been set.
'Check date.
If Range("TimeCheck") < Date - 30 Then 'Expired
'Your passord Code HERE
End If
Else 'Set first Open date
Range("TimeCheck") = Date
Me.Save

--------------------
Hopping you shall give me your advice about.

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119540

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dear sir,when i tried to open any file from the address you have
registered ,this sentence was appear (Sorry - there is nothing here to
show you (no permission, all entries hidden, etc).
Thank you for help and consider the request was solved.

--
tofimoon4
tofimoon4's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=138
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119540

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

tofimoon4;430383 Wrote:
Dear sir,when i tried to open any file from the address you have
registered ,this sentence was appear (Sorry - there is nothing here to
show you (no permission, all entries hidden, etc).
Thank you for help and consider the request was solved.Yes my fault, you have to go through the disclaimer gateway first here

'Code Cage Downloads - The Code Cage Forums'
(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/local_links.php)

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,