Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I attach a document along a column?

Why not create a hyperlink to the document?

ae030;425141 Wrote:
I have written a code where a user can enter text onto textboxes and
these will be written on a respective row, below is an example.

Name Location Email Document

John Doe Houston Document1.doc

So the problem I'm having is attaching documents in column 4 (in this
example Row2 Column4), I just want a simple icon, or anything really
that makes this work, to show up in that cell and then have a user just
be able to double click it and launch the document.

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
'The Code Cage' (
http://www.thecodecage.com)
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=118182

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Simon Lloyd;425258 Wrote:
Why not create a hyperlink to the document?

heh heh, that's very clever. The reason why I can't do that is because
others besides the originator will be using it. How can they access a
file that's within my hard drive?

--
ae030
ae030's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=541

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

file that's within my hard drive?well i probably got the drift that that is what you wanted as you saidae030 Wrote:
I just want a simple icon, or anything really that makes this work, to
show up in that cell and then have a user just be able to double click
it and launch the document.it seemed to me that you do want them to open the document, a hyperlink

does this, if thats not what you want can you explain a little further
what you are trying to do?

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=118182

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Simon Lloyd;425283 Wrote:
well i probably got the drift that that is what you wanted as you saidit
seemed to me that you do want them to open the document, a hyperlink
does this, if thats not what you want can you explain a little further
what you are trying to do?

I want them to be able to open the document. I think if I used a
hyperlink the user of this would not be able to open the document as it
would be linked to a document on my hard drive, which they will not have
access to. Also, the document that will be attached might change
locations from where it is initially located.

--
ae030
ae030's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=541
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=118182

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ae030;425289 Wrote:
I want them to be able to open the document. I think if I used a
hyperlink the user of this would not be able to open the document as it
would be linked to a document on my hard drive, which they will not have
access to. Also, the document that will be attached might change
locations from where it is initially located.
--- Automerged consecutive post before response ---
I tried using an OLE Object, but I was unable to link it to a cell.Create a hyperlink to the attached document, im assuming you are sending

a document that will be saved on the users pc, and if the document is
going to change locations there's no way of tracking that.

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=118182

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Simon Lloyd;425338 Wrote:
Create a hyperlink to the attached document, im assuming you are sending
a document that will be saved on the users pc, and if the document is
going to change locations there's no way of tracking that.

well can't an OLE Object accomplish that. Let's say that I have
selected a file and attached it to the spreadsheet, can't the document
still be opened even if the original is deleted? I guess my question now
would be, how do I link an OLE Object to a cell (i.e. D2). That way when
someone tries to pull up a record they can see the name, location, email
and that document that is associated with name, location, and email.