Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default EXCEL 2007 - 15 minutes to open workbook

I created a workbook with two main sections 400 rows, 40 coumns with
data being retrieved usning CUBE formulas. I have about 15 macros in
the spreadsheet and another sheet that uses alot of vlookups. It
takes over about 15 minutes to open the workbook, but a few seconds to
save and close. Excel opens up right away, it is just this file.
Once the file is open there is no speed issues at all.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Jul 1, 4:52*am, dr wrote:
I created a workbook with two main sections 400 rows, 40 coumns with
data being retrieved usning CUBE formulas. *I have about 15 macros in
the spreadsheet and another sheet that uses alot of vlookups. *It
takes over about 15 minutes to open the workbook, but a few seconds to
save and close. *Excel opens up right away, it is just this file.
Once the file is open there is no speed issues at all.

Try to open any other small file and see if you face the same problem.
Try opening a file with only one cell containing data text.

Is this also give same problem?

Regards,
Madiya.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

dr wrote:
I created a workbook with two main sections 400 rows, 40 coumns with
data being retrieved usning CUBE formulas. I have about 15 macros in
the spreadsheet and another sheet that uses alot of vlookups. It

I have not seen any massive slowdowns with VLOOKUPs myself. I suggest
you scale down the problem to something that takes about 10s to load
like 4 rows of 40 columns to try and isolate and optimise the timing
behaviour.

The only places I have experienced massive slowdowns are where drawing
graphs and charts are involved using somewhat larger datasets than this.

takes over about 15 minutes to open the workbook, but a few seconds to
save and close. Excel opens up right away, it is just this file.
Once the file is open there is no speed issues at all.

It sounds like something fishy in the data loading step then.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try Tools, Options, Calculatons, change to Manual.
Close and reopen the file. See if that makes it faster.