Posted to microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Reading Excel XML spreadsheet via VBScript using MSXML.DOMDocument

I am looking for some resource, samples or guidance in reading data from
Excel spreadsheets saved in XML format using VBScript, but using the
'MSXML.DOMDocument' object instead of the 'Excel.Application' object.

My goal is to do my updating to the table in a nicely formatted Excel
document instead of a unformatted CSV file, but have the script still work
on computers that do not have Excel installed.

I have quite limited experience with working with XML documents, so if
someone has some simple examples they can post or link to that I could
analyze and learn from, it would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry I can't provide you any more direct and immediate solution, but I
though you might find this book helpful:

http://books.google.com/books?id=gMjVl2r6XzEC

Best wishes,
Rolf

"James Whitlow" wrote:

I am looking for some resource, samples or guidance in reading data from
Excel spreadsheets saved in XML format using VBScript, but using the
'MSXML.DOMDocument' object instead of the 'Excel.Application' object.

My goal is to do my updating to the table in a nicely formatted Excel
document instead of a unformatted CSV file, but have the script still work
on computers that do not have Excel installed.

I have quite limited experience with working with XML documents, so if
someone has some simple examples they can post or link to that I could
analyze and learn from, it would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.excel.programming

"A possible solution" wrote in
message ...
Sorry I can't provide you any more direct and immediate solution, but I
though you might find this book helpful:

http://books.google.com/books?id=gMjVl2r6XzEC

Thanks for the reference, Rolf. I am going to keep searching and holind out
hope that a sample will be posted. If not, I might either fallback on the
book or just start experimenting myself.

I have incorporated simple XML tables into some of my scripts, but I am
still an XML novice.

Posted to microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.excel.programming

"James Whitlow" wrote in message
I am looking for some resource, samples or guidance in reading data from
Excel spreadsheets saved in XML format using VBScript, but using the
'MSXML.DOMDocument' object instead of the 'Excel.Application' object.

My goal is to do my updating to the table in a nicely formatted Excel
document instead of a unformatted CSV file, but have the script still work
on computers that do not have Excel installed.

I have quite limited experience with working with XML documents, so if
someone has some simple examples they can post or link to that I could
analyze and learn from, it would be greatly appreciated.

I know almost nothing about XML documents or how that document might include
the Excel formatting. I would suggest groups.google.com; I would suggest
using it to search for msxml.domdocument in the microsoft.public ... xml
groups. One hit I found was
http://groups.google.com/g/85b7fefb/...5fe81604c15951
which might have helpful info.
There are a bunch of English language microsoft.public ... xml groups,
including:
microsoft.public.data.xmlanalysis
microsoft.public.dotnet.xml
microsoft.public.office.xml
microsoft.public.sqlserver.xml
microsoft.public.xml

On the main groups.google.com web page is a place to search for a group.
Enter something like the two words: microsoft xml to help you decide which
groups might be good candidates for crossposting your request. This returns
a nice list of group candidates, as well as some info on how frequently the
groups are used.

Use the search at msdn.microsoft.com, for something like: msxml.domdocument
reference, to find info that will be helpful in scripting the
msxml.domdocument object model.

-Paul Randall