Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I add iserr or iserror to this

Trying to get rid of the #value to the cells that are not currently populated
in cells with this if statement

=IF(M29-(M29*Disc),M29-(M29*Disc),M29)

Any help would be great

Thanks

--
Neall
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Presumably, either disc or M29 contains non-numeric (or non-boolean) data.
Does the following fix the problem?

=IF(ISNUMBER(M29*disc),M29-(M29*disc),M29)

--
Steve

"Neall" wrote in message
Trying to get rid of the #value to the cells that are not currently
populated
in cells with this if statement

=IF(M29-(M29*Disc),M29-(M29*Disc),M29)

Any help would be great

Thanks

--
Neall

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the suggestion Steve, but it wont work,

I thought this might work
=IF(ISERROR(M29-(M29*Disc),M29-(M29*Disc),M29),"",M29-(M29*Disc),M29-(M29*Disc),M29)

However it keeps telling me that I have to many arguments, I need these
arguments included for other variables involved.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance
--
Neall

"Neall" wrote:

Trying to get rid of the #value to the cells that are not currently populated
in cells with this if statement

=IF(M29-(M29*Disc),M29-(M29*Disc),M29)

Any help would be great

Thanks

--
Neall

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 5/29/09 8:57 AM, Neall wrote:

I guess I should explain, I have a set of cells that show full price M29 -
M36 then I have another set of cells that show price either A) as full price
(pulling from M29 - M36) or the discounted price Q29 - Q36.

So basically if there is no discount the full price of the parts get shown
in Q29 - Q36 if there are discounts to be had then Q29-36 show the discounted
amount for each part

So in Q29 - Q36 I have this

=IF(M36-(M36*Disc),M36-(M36*Disc),M36)

Which is saying if there is no discount then take the numbers from M and
display them in Q, if there is a discounted noted show the discounted price
and not the values in M

This works now I just need to get ride of the #Value! in those cells when
there is no part to price against, because its effecting the sum

Thanks in advance

Neall,
The first argument (logical_test) in an IF statement needs to evaluate
to a boolean result. In your formula above, the evaluation of
"M36-(M36*Disc)" is likely numeric which will lead to unpredictable
results.

You might try something even simpler like this:

=IF(ISNUMBER(M36),M36-(M36*Disc),"")

Art

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks but that doesn't work, here is the syntax I thought would work, I use
it on my other formula's to get rid of "#Value" in my cells when the cell
should be blank

=IF(ISERR((M29-(M29*Disc),M29-(M29*Disc),M29)),"",(M29-(M29*Disc),M29-(M29*Disc),M29))

Again basically if there is no discount to be given the cell should just be
populated with what is in M29, if there is a discount to be given (Disc would
have a percentage) then is will do the math to show the discounted amount in
the cell. Again this all works great but when there is no part number to
price against or give a discount against I get the #Value error in the field
because the answer is 0, which messes up price sum value.

Any suggestions how I can get this to work so the cell is empty when there
is no pricing involved?

Thanks

--
Neall

"Art" wrote:

On 5/29/09 8:57 AM, Neall wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Neall,
The equation as shown in your 5/29/09 2:40PM posting has errors and
can't be entered as shown.

I tested the equation that I posted and would appear to cover all of
your conditions. I assigned the name "Disc" to a cell formatted as
percentage. M36 and Q36 tested as either General or Currency formats
with same results.

formula in Q36: =IF(ISNUMBER(M36),M36-(M36*Disc),"")

Tested on Excel Office X, and 2004

Some examples:

M36: Disc: Result in Q36
100 0% 100
100 5% 95
blank 0% blank
100 blank blank
blank blank blank

Is this what you intended ?

Art

"Art" wrote:
On 5/29/09 8:57 AM, Neall wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Neall,
I am also having problems understanding why your formula does not work.
Breaking it down to its simples form, your formula is

Result = Price-(Price*Discount)

I tested and found the following:

If you have no data in Discount or Price, Result = Price

If you blank out a value in Discount or Price using the space bar, you get
#Value! error.

If you enter any other non-numeric value in Discount or Price, you get
#Value! error.

Provided you have NUMERIC values or a genuine blank cell in Price and
Discount, you will ALWAYS get an answer in Result.

To test data:

Somewhere else on your spreadsheet use the formula
=ISNUMBER(yourCellToTest)

If you get false, fix the relevant cell by selecting it and fixing a formula
or clearing the content.

Hmmmmmm, try this first:

1) In a blank cell, type 1
2) Copy that cell
3) Highlight all price and discount values in your sheet (not formula)
4) Paste Special
5) Choose 'Operation' 'Multiply'
6) Click 'OK'

--
Steve

"Art" wrote:
On 5/29/09 8:57 AM, Neall wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Art you were right, my math for disc was wrong and it was throwing
everything off.

Thanks very much!
--
Neall

"Art" wrote:
On 5/29/09 8:57 AM, Neall wrote:

[...]

Countif IsErr ZTamsen Excel Worksheet Functions 6 April 28th 09 06:42 PM
ISERR Jools Excel Worksheet Functions 7 February 20th 09 12:37 PM
Need for ISERR and ISNA Makes formula too Long [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 6 November 19th 07 09:14 PM
What does this function do =+IF(ISERR(F27/G27),0,F27/G27) Trying To Excel Excel Worksheet Functions 6 December 8th 05 06:12 AM
ISERR Chris Lane Excel Worksheet Functions 4 October 2nd 05 07:11 AM