Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Trying To Excel

Default What does this function do =+IF(ISERR(F27/G27),0,F27/G27)

I saw this function in a file that was sent to me. The situation called for a
simple division formula. I dont understand what this formula is saying.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey

It's overkill for eliminating a #DIV/0 error when G27 = 0. The + is just
a superfluous unary plus character that is typically inserted by Lotus
users. It's completely unnecessary in XL.

A better alternative (i.e., that wouldn't mask other errors) is

=IF(G27=0,0,F27/G27)

In article ,
Trying To Excel <Trying To wrote:

I saw this function in a file that was sent to me. The situation called for a
simple division formula. I dont understand what this formula is saying.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ragdyer

First of all, the plus sign is unnecessary.
Former users of Lotus tend to habitually use it, since it defined a formula
in Lotus, similar to the equal sign in XL.

What the formula is saying is:
If the division of F27 by G27 returns an error (say G27 was zero), then
return zero, NOT the error.
If NO error is returned, then display the results of the division.
--
HTH,

RD

"Trying To Excel" <Trying To wrote in
message ...
I saw this function in a file that was sent to me. The situation called

for a
simple division formula. I dont understand what this formula is saying.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

=+IF(ISERR(F27/G27),0,F27/G27)

If F27 divided by G27 causes an error, return zero, otherwise, return the
result of F27 divided by G27.

An error will be generated if G27 is blank or a zero, or if either cell
contains text.

You don't need the "+" sign. It's superflous.

=IF(ISERR(F27/G27),0,F27/G27)

Biff

Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Hyperlinks using R[1]C[1] and offset function in its cell referenc Elijah-Dadda Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 5th 05 03:31 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM
Find a Function to use accross different worksheets R. Hale Excel Worksheet Functions 3 November 25th 04 07:07 AM