Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Determine when Word document opens successfully from Excel VBA

Is there a way in Excel VBA to determine when a Word document has
been opened successfully? Or better yet, when the Word application
will be free to open another document?

In a loop in Excel VBA I open up Word documents one-by-one, the
Word document automatically does some things (like update links and
print), and meanwhile Excel checks to see if Word is done (results in
a PDF file), then moves to the next document.

After several documents are successfully processed, my VBA code in
Excel fails on trying to open up the next Word document:

Dim WordDoc as Word.Document
. . .
Set WordDoc = WordApp.Documents.Open(sWordDocPath & sWordName)

and returns the error

"Microsoft Office Excel is waiting for another application to complete
an OLE action." Things get hung up from there, and I have to use
TaskManager to kill the WinWord process.

I tried throwing in some Sleep commands, to give things time to
finish, but that did not seem to improve anything.

I tried checking the value of WordDoc after the .Open statement,
but it never reaches it. It gets hung on the .Open statement.

I am not sure how to diagnose things from here.

Thanks in advance for your help! Alan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try using the timer funciton in VBA
--
If this post helps click Yes

"Alan" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Originally, I was starting up the Word application, processing all
the Word documents, then quitting the Word application. When I
changed this to start the Word app, process one document, quit the
Word app, then repeat, it worked.

Also, I used Sleep() vice Application.Waittime.

Alan