Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Update Links and Essbase Retrievals

I have links to a spreadsheet that also contain automatic refresh of essbase
data,

I have prevented the update links from appearing when the spreadsheet is
open but when it goes to the essbase retrieval sheet the update links message
comes up

any way to prevent this happening

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You are a little thin on details... First off are the links in your
spreadsheet necessary? It sounds like you are dismissing the update. Is your
code taking you to the essbase retrieveal sheet? If so you do not need to
select the sheet. A retrieval can be done to a non active sheet. Only a lock
and send requires the sheet to be active (which is mighty annoying)...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Nigel" wrote:

I have links to a spreadsheet that also contain automatic refresh of essbase
data,

I have prevented the update links from appearing when the spreadsheet is
open but when it goes to the essbase retrieval sheet the update links message
comes up

any way to prevent this happening

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

THe links are new, I have a sheet that is calculating the holidays for this
year and last year, since I have multiple reports that run, I was hoping to
only have to update one workbook and link that to other workbooks,

In this case I have to go to multiple essbase sheets and retrieve data onto
them, the workbook opens correctly but as it scrolls thru the worksheets then
it wants to update again, I was hoping to get rid of that annoyance

"Nigel" wrote:

I have links to a spreadsheet that also contain automatic refresh of essbase
data,

I have prevented the update links from appearing when the spreadsheet is
open but when it goes to the essbase retrieval sheet the update links message
comes up

any way to prevent this happening

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I assume that it is your code that is scrolling through the sheets and
retrieveing? If you scroll through the sheets manually does it ask to update?
if you retrieve a sheet manually does it prompt you to update?

I personally tend tp put things like your hilidays into a database table and
then pull them into my workbook via a query. Linked workbooks have never
worked well for me. They invariable get messed up at some point and are a
royal pain to sort out when they do...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Nigel" wrote:

I have links to a spreadsheet that also contain automatic refresh of essbase
data,

I have prevented the update links from appearing when the spreadsheet is
open but when it goes to the essbase retrieval sheet the update links message
comes up

any way to prevent this happening

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I had feeling you would say that, does putting that sort of info into a
database request to update the sheets?

When I do it manually it is fine its the automatic retrieve that is causing
the problem

"Nigel" wrote:

I have links to a spreadsheet that also contain automatic refresh of essbase
data,

I have prevented the update links from appearing when the spreadsheet is
open but when it goes to the essbase retrieval sheet the update links message
comes up

any way to prevent this happening

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'll send you my standard code modules that I use in every Essbase project
that I deal with. Generally the code does not generate any side effects. Is
your email address current???
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson