Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2003 - Typing Letter in Dropdown Cell

I built a list of text values in a dropdown in cell A1. There's about a
1000 values and I want to allow the user to type in any letter and it will
take them to that letter in the drop down. Is there any way of doing that?

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If using a Data Validation List Dropdown, there is no Autocomplete function.

Debra Dalgleish shows how to use a Combobox in conjunction with the DV in
order to enable autocomplete.

Or as Biff pointed out in another thread.

Dispense with the DV dropdown and just use a ComboBox from the Control
Toolbox.

You will need to assign a ListFillRange and a Linked Cell if you're doing
operations on the chosen value.

An alternative using a couple more cells comes from Ashish Mather

Please take a look at question 44 of the following link -
http://ashishmathur.com/replies.aspx

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP