Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Excel 2003 - Typing Letter in Dropdown Cell

If using a Data Validation List Dropdown, there is no Autocomplete function.

Debra Dalgleish shows how to use a Combobox in conjunction with the DV in
order to enable autocomplete.

Or as Biff pointed out in another thread.

Dispense with the DV dropdown and just use a ComboBox from the Control
Toolbox.

You will need to assign a ListFillRange and a Linked Cell if you're doing
operations on the chosen value.

An alternative using a couple more cells comes from Ashish Mather

Please take a look at question 44 of the following link -
http://ashishmathur.com/replies.aspx

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 09:47:59 -0800, "Joe" wrote:

I built a list of text values in a dropdown in cell A1. There's about a
1000 values and I want to allow the user to type in any letter and it will
take them to that letter in the drop down. Is there any way of doing that?

Thanks!!