Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Mystery Apostrophe

In the 'edit' area called fx there is - sometimes - an apostrophe
ahead of the text - although this isn't part of the text string in the
cell.

What is it - and how can I get RID of it please ? !!

Thanks - Kirk
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It tell Excle that the cell's content is to be treated as a TEXT string...
eg if you enter =3+5 in a cell, Excle will assume you wanted to add 5 to 3
and give you 8 but if you enter '=3+5 you will get 3+5 as TEXT in the cell.

You can simply edit the cell, go to the beginning of the value in the cell
and delete it.

"kirkm" wrote:

In the 'edit' area called fx there is - sometimes - an apostrophe
ahead of the text - although this isn't part of the text string in the
cell.

What is it - and how can I get RID of it please ? !!

Thanks - Kirk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've spent severl hours on this and getting nowhere.

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 20:42:01 -0800, Sheeloo <="to" & CHAR(95) &
"sheeloo" & CHAR(64) & "hotmail.com" wrote:

It tell Excle that the cell's content is to be treated as a TEXT string...

But the apostrophe is sometimes a wanted PART of the text.

In some cells the apostrophe works as expected - you type it in and
there is is. WONDERFUL !

In others you type it in and it vanishes. Why ? Why would you want a
character to vanish? Surely you would just not enter it in the first
placel !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've checked both cell formats and found a mix of General and Text but
changing that don't change how it handles the apostrophe.

Please, how do I get Excel to display what I type? In all cells. No
artificial intelligence or interpretation needed.

eg if you enter =3+5 in a cell, Excle will assume you wanted to add 5 to 3
and give you 8 but if you enter '=3+5 you will get 3+5 as TEXT in the cell.

You can simply edit the cell, go to the beginning of the value in the cell
and delete it.

Right, but what if it's wanted? And where not wanted, it sometimes
lurks somehere and only shows in the fx Edit box.

Thanks for any futher help.
Cheers - Kirk
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On (much) further inverstigation I've found how
to remove the apostrophe and that a leading apostrophe
can be displayed by using two and seeing one.

However! I have many cells with ONE visable leading apostrophe.

How did this happen? I can't recreate them now, nor cut
and paste (data or format).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe it's as simple as:
Tools|Options|Transition tab|uncheck "Transition navigation keys"
(xl2003 menus)

I'd uncheck all these Lotus 123 settings.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 07:39:58 -0600, Dave Peterson
wrote:

Maybe it's as simple as:
Tools|Options|Transition tab|uncheck "Transition navigation keys"
(xl2003 menus)

I'd uncheck all these Lotus 123 settings.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave. I'd read that in Help, and found
nothing was there to uncheck. Set it, then unset it but the problem
remains.

I'll try another message, as I may be able to define it better.
Cheers - Kirk