Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Personal.xls and Macros

I have a coworker that I am trying to help setup to use Personal.xls for
storing her macros. I have tried a couple of different methods. I created a
meaningless macro and set the dialog to save it in My Personal Workbook, I
have gone into XLStart and created the workbook directly.
Then when she uses the macro while still in the first workbook where she
records it, it shows up. However if she closes that workbook and uses
another then the macro isn't there.
We are on a large corporate LAN, but then I haven't had any problems doing
this on my computer.

Does anybody have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks
Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you are using the excel 2007 version while saving you have to save
it as macro enabled sheet.

If the macro is recorded in Workbook-1 and if you close the workbook-1
you cannot run the macro because the code was there in workbook-1.

Regards

Heera
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Mike

1) Open excel
2) Hit alt-F11 to get to the VBE
3) Hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window and type this:
4) ?Application.StartupPath

Youll see the startup path returned

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"mikebres" wrote in message ...
I have a coworker that I am trying to help setup to use Personal.xls for
storing her macros. I have tried a couple of different methods. I created a
meaningless macro and set the dialog to save it in My Personal Workbook, I
have gone into XLStart and created the workbook directly.
Then when she uses the macro while still in the first workbook where she
records it, it shows up. However if she closes that workbook and uses
another then the macro isn't there.
We are on a large corporate LAN, but then I haven't had any problems doing
this on my computer.

Does anybody have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the replies. Apparently I wasn't as thoughrough as I thought I
was :/

Heera: We are using Excel 2003.

Ron: I had no trouble finding the XLStart folder. I even created a
workbook called personal.xls in that folder. However, that didn't work.

Thanks
Mike

"mikebres" wrote in message ...
I have a coworker that I am trying to help setup to use Personal.xls for
storing her macros. I have tried a couple of different methods. I created a
meaningless macro and set the dialog to save it in My Personal Workbook, I
have gone into XLStart and created the workbook directly.
Then when she uses the macro while still in the first workbook where she
records it, it shows up. However if she closes that workbook and uses
another then the macro isn't there.
We are on a large corporate LAN, but then I haven't had any problems doing
this on my computer.

Does anybody have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Mike

However if she closes that workbook and uses
another then the macro isn't there.

Do you mean that you not see the personal.xls in the VBA editor then ?
Maybe the personal file is disabled

PERSONAL.XLS(B) will not open but is in the correct location

When Excel think the file is corrupt it can disable the file.
You can re-enable it here but if it is really corrupted replace it with a backup.

Excel 2002-2003: HelpAbout MS ExcelDisabled items
Excel 2007 : Office buttonExcel Options..Add-ins
In the "Manage:" dropdown (bottom of the dialog)
Choose "Disabled Items
Go

--

"mikebres" wrote in message ...
I have a coworker that I am trying to help setup to use Personal.xls for
storing her macros. I have tried a couple of different methods. I created a
meaningless macro and set the dialog to save it in My Personal Workbook, I
have gone into XLStart and created the workbook directly.
Then when she uses the macro while still in the first workbook where she
records it, it shows up. However if she closes that workbook and uses
another then the macro isn't there.
We are on a large corporate LAN, but then I haven't had any problems doing
this on my computer.

Does anybody have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I finaly figured it out! Thank you all for your help.

It was the automation angle. The Excel file was opened from a link on a web
page. We fixed it by saving one of the files, then opening it again from
inside Excel. We recorded the macro to the personal.xls workbook. Then the
next time she opened the Excel from the web the macro was avaialble.

Thank You
Mike

Hi Mike