Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Add Macros to Someone Else's Personal.xls

Anybody know if it's possible to add a macro to somebody else's Personal.xls
with VBA? I occasionally write little utility macros that others would find
helpful, and would like to be able to E-mail them an Excel file with VBA code
that will take the macro-associated code and "install" it into their
Personal.xls. The only way I know to do it right now is to get on their
computer and do some cut-and-paste work. (Sending them an actual
Personal.xls file won't always work, since they may have their own macros
that I wouldn't want to overwrite.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I wouldn't do it.

Save your set of macros/functions with a nice name (LarrysUtils.xls) and send
them that one.

Have them install it as an addin or put it in their XLStart folder.

I think it'll be safer and easier to send a fresh version when it changes.

You may want to look at the way Jan Karel Pieterse used a helper workbook that
added an addin in his namemanager utility.

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp/

He has an installation workbook included in the zip file.

===

And keep a copy of the name manager for your own use! It's very nice.

--

Dave Peterson