Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Cannot run debuger properly

Hi,

I'm trying to develope an application base on data stored in excel file.
I've recenty intalled VS2008 Professional and Office 2007 Ultimate. I
created a new Excel workgroup project based on prewritten excel file, and
wrote some vb code. I place a breaking point at the first line and clicked
debug. The program indeed opened the excel file but didn't highlight
(yellow) the line with the breaking point as expected. Furthere more I
couldn't perform a line by line debug as this option was disabled on the
menu.

Does anybody have any idea?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello,

Thanks for using Microsoft Newsgroup Support Service, my name is Ji Zhou
[MSFT] and I will be working on this issue with you.

Based on my understanding, the current problem is when we debug a VB.NET
Excel 2007 document level project, the Excel starts but the break point
does not hit, right? If I have misunderstood the issue, please feel free to
let me know.

I try the same test on my side, but it works fine and I can debug the
project correctly. Currently, my guess is that we have set the breakpoint
in the Sheet1_Startup function, but in the ThisWorkbook_Startup function,
there is an exception thrown that cause our VSTO solution unloaded. So, the
breakpoint at Sheet1_Startup will not hit and the Step Over option is also
disabled in the Visual Studio menu.

Since I cannot reproduce the issue, to better support it, I think we need
to make some points clarified as the follows,

** Which function and line we set the breakpoint in the problematical
scenario, the Sheet1_Startup or the ThisWorkbook_Startup function. If it is
the Sheet1_Startup, would you mind posting the codes in the
ThisWorkbook_Startup function. I ask for this information because the
unhandled exception in the startup function may cause the VSTO solution
unloaded. But the exception will be swallowed by the Office application.
So, Excel will loads, but we cannot debug our codes.

And if this is the case, we can see some related information in the Output
Window in Visual Studio when debugging. To show the Output Window, we click
the Menu View-Output.

** If the issue is not in our codes, I think the most possibility is that
VSTO Runtime may not work properly. Thus, I would like to suggest you
repair it from the Control Panel.

1.Click the Start-Run and input Control Panel in the textbox and click the
OK button.

2.Then, we will see the Control Panel window. If we are running in the
Windows XP or previous version, double click the item Add/Remove Programs.
If we are using Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, double click the
Programs and Features.

3.In the pop up window, we can find the Visual Studio Tools for the Office
system 3.0 Runtime, select and repair it.

** If the above still does not resolve the issue, I suggest the following
two troubleshooting ways to isolate the problem.

1.Create a new VSTO document level project for a test. This time, we create
a new blank Excel document instead of using the prewritten one. Afterwards
we can set a breakpoint to see if it works. This will isolate the problems
caused by the Excel document.

2.Create a new Windows Form application or other types, and set a
breakpoint to see if the breakpoint will hit in a non VSTO projects. This
will isolate the problem caused by the Visual Studio.

I know this means some workload on your side, but to find the right
direction, we need this information to narrow down the problem, and thanks
for your understanding on this. We are looking forward your reply.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Ji Zhou , remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

.

http://support.microsoft.com/select/...tance&ln=en-us.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Goldenrate,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. Could you
please let me know if the suggestion works for you or not? If it still does
not work, could you please provide the information I asked in my previous
post? I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a great day!