Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Assigning number value to letters

Hi I have a spreadsheet where I need certain Letters or groups of
letters to equal a number value and sum it.

I have employees that take a week of V (vacation) that is 8 hours per
day and I need a sum of 40 at the end. It may vary there could be a S
(sick) day or and EDO (earned day off) that is also equivilent to 8.
My other problem is if they take 4 hours of V or 4 hours of S can this
be summed also??
I have tried this formula =SUMPRODUCT(LOOKUP(E3:K3, $O$4:$O$7, $P$4:$P
$7))
but am getting an #N/A. My Spreadsheet is kind of complicated and has
a bunch of different formulas so I am not sure if that may be the
reason I am getting the error or not.

Please help!

This is my first time using this help program and am not sure if I can
attach an example I cant find anywhere but if you email me I can send
you my spreadsheet.