Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Cheri

Default Assigning values to letters

We have a spreadsheet that we are to enter either an "A", "B", or "M" to
designate whether some is "Above", or "Meets", or is "Below" a designation.

An "A" equals 5 points
An "M" equals 3 points
and the "B" equals 0 points

I would like a formula that allows me to designate the value for each entry
in the row and adds the values together. So, if there are 4 "A"s and 5 "M"s,
the result will be 35.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

If your letters are in C2:C10, for instance, then =5*countif(c2:c10,"A") +
3*countif(c2:c10,"M") will get you the result.

"Cheri" wrote:

We have a spreadsheet that we are to enter either an "A", "B", or "M" to
designate whether some is "Above", or "Meets", or is "Below" a designation.

An "A" equals 5 points
An "M" equals 3 points
and the "B" equals 0 points

I would like a formula that allows me to designate the value for each entry
in the row and adds the values together. So, if there are 4 "A"s and 5 "M"s,
the result will be 35.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Try one of these:

=SUM(COUNTIF(A1:J1,"A")*5,COUNTIF(A1:J1,"M")*3)

=SUMPRODUCT(((A1:J1="A")*5)+((A1:J1="M")*3))

=SUM(COUNTIF(A1:J1,{"A","M"})*{5,3})

Biff