Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default backspace key

I want to disable the backspace key on a single worksheet.

How can I do this?

Gotta be honest...don't know much about macros.

Thank you!

Mark Barnard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You don't want to let the user of your worksheet be able to correct a
mistyping? Really? I don't think you can do that (once you enter editing
mode); but, if you could, you would also have to disable the Delete key
(otherwise the user could use the mouse to move the caret symbol and then
just delete the character or characters instead). Did you want to do that
also? Oh, and you would probably have to disable the left and right mouse
button as well (otherwise the user could use the left button to select the
characters and then use the right button to bring up the popup menu in order
to select Delete from it). Did you want to do that also? I really cannot
imagine a situation where disabling the Backspace key would make much sense.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Mark Barnard" wrote in message
I want to disable the backspace key on a single worksheet.

How can I do this?

Gotta be honest...don't know much about macros.

Thank you!

Mark Barnard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dear Mr. Rothstein,

Thank you for your reply. Maybe this explanation will help your imagination.

Yes, what I describe is exactly what I want to do.

I have a worksheet that has a pull-down menu in column A. The adjacent
columns contain data which is keyed to the item chosen in the pull-down menu.

If I want to delete a value from the column A after selecting it from the
pull-down menu, I click on this item and press the "delete" key. This works
fine. The problem is...the user tried to delete the item in column A with
the "backspace" key. When doing so, the associated data in the adjacent
columns isn't deleted. I want to remove the option of deleting the item in
column A on this worksheet with the "backspace" key.

On this particular worksheet, there is no opportunity for the user to make a
typo, because there is no opportunity for him to make an input except for the
pull-down menu.

Back to my original question...

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Mark Barnard

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ah, now you have provide more detail than your original posting did... the
wording of your original message seemed to be asking for something
completely different (at least to me) than what I *think* you are now
describing. When you say "pull-down menu", do you mean a Data Validation
List set up as an "In-cell Dropdown"? If so, I think your problem can be
solved by putting a checkmark in the CheckBox labeled "Ignore blank" on the
Settings tab of the Data Validation dialog box.