Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Backspace and percentage, please help

Is this a bug in excel ????

Please try this :

Key any number in any cell (let say I put no 1).

then change the format to percentage.

Keep the cursor in that position, now hit backspace then key any number
1, 2,3,100, etc, as you can see the result will be multiply by 100,
meaning : before it was 1% and after backspace it became 100%, please
explain. Heaps of thanks !!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It works the opposite for me, and that is what I would expect.

I enter 1, then format as percentage, and it says 100%.
Backspace, and enter 1 and it says 1%.

I can see that as OK< because the cell is formatted as a percentage, so
Excel sees that a number 1 is meant as 1%. Formatting afterwards, it sees
the 1 as a whole, 100%.

--

HTH

RP