Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Joining data from 2 spreadsheets into 1 sheet

I am trying to join 2 spdshts and pull just certain info from each one. One
is a query that I pulled from an Access table and put in Excel. The other is
an Excel spreadsheet. I am using the employee id as my primary key to join
the sheets. I verifies that both of the columns were formatted the same. When
I try to join the tables I get the message: 'Columns eeid and eeid that you
are about to join are of different types. Create the join anyway?' If I say
'yes' it lets me add the column headings but then returns nothing. If I say
no, it closes it down. When I click 'help' I get a blank screen to look
at.......
any ideas or suggestions out there?????

--
Thanks for your help!
Have a blessed day.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don't mean to sound obvious here, but sounds like your columns have differen
formats.

Highlight the EEID column and format as a type.. Number, Text, etc. Do the
same for the other sheet. Watch for that little blue triangle on the top
right of your cell. Typically means the field is currently set as text but
could be updated to number...

"Versie" wrote:

I am trying to join 2 spdshts and pull just certain info from each one. One
is a query that I pulled from an Access table and put in Excel. The other is
an Excel spreadsheet. I am using the employee id as my primary key to join
the sheets. I verifies that both of the columns were formatted the same. When
I try to join the tables I get the message: 'Columns eeid and eeid that you
are about to join are of different types. Create the join anyway?' If I say
'yes' it lets me add the column headings but then returns nothing. If I say
no, it closes it down. When I click 'help' I get a blank screen to look
at.......
any ideas or suggestions out there?????

--
Thanks for your help!
Have a blessed day.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sean,
Sorry, I thought I added that both columns were formatted the same. Checked
that twice......thanks,
--
Thanks for your help!
Have a blessed day.

"Versie" wrote:

I am trying to join 2 spdshts and pull just certain info from each one. One
is a query that I pulled from an Access table and put in Excel. The other is
an Excel spreadsheet. I am using the employee id as my primary key to join
the sheets. I verifies that both of the columns were formatted the same. When
I try to join the tables I get the message: 'Columns eeid and eeid that you
are about to join are of different types. Create the join anyway?' If I say
'yes' it lets me add the column headings but then returns nothing. If I say
no, it closes it down. When I click 'help' I get a blank screen to look
at.......
any ideas or suggestions out there?????

--
Thanks for your help!
Have a blessed day.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Are the tables in Access?
Are you joining worksheets in Excel?
How are you joining the tables?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I ran one query from Access and sent it to Excel. The other was already an
Excel workbook.
Under DATA, IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA, NEW DBASE QUERY, Excel files. I can get
both tables there, but when I try to join the 2 employee id columns I get the
message about like types..
--
Thanks for your help!
Have a blessed day.

"dan dungan" wrote:

Are the tables in Access?
Are you joining worksheets in Excel?
How are you joining the tables?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've never used the dbase query function. But maybe it doesn't like
both fields named the same.

Are the tables in two different workbooks?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

G'day Versie

Just a thought, something to consider:

Instead of exporting the Access Data to Excel and merging there.

Import the Excel data into the Access DB and give the Table a different
name.
Create a UNION query to merge the 2 datasets based on eeID.
Then export that combined data back into Excel..

HTH
Mark.