Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default complex column addition

I have 3 columns. Column "A" is the task. Column "B" is the user who is
doing the task. Column "C" is the numerical hours for that particular task.

For my users, I have 3. Names denoted as "C, M, and Z". Off to the side,
I'd like to keep a running total of how many hours per person...say column
"T".

As an example, say my totals for C,M,and Z are cells T2, T3, and T4. I can
use a simple IF statement:

for person C, =IF(B2="C", +C2, +0).
for person M, =IF(B2="M", +C2, +0).
for person Z, =IF(B2="Z", +C2, +0).

There has to be a way to do this for every row all the way down for each
person...other than typing =IF(BX="Y", +CX,+0) where the X indicates the
different rows and corresponding adjacent cells (in column C) and Y indicates
the different people.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It sounds like you want the SUMIF function...

For "C": =SUMIF(B:B,"C",C:C)

For "M": =SUMIF(B:B,"M",C:C)

For "Z": =SUMIF(B:B,"Z",C:C)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"formula428" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=SUMIF(B:B,"Y",C:C)

etc.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That Y should be one of your values of course.

--
HTH

Bob

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message