Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

Default How to check sheet text for UNICODE?

Hello,
How to check programmatically if the text used in spreadsheet is
ANSI or UNICODE?
Are there are some Excel properties that indicate that?
Thanks,
Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

To explain more.
I use Windows XP PRO English version.
Someone sent me the Excel spreadsheet, which has text written in Hebrew and
sheet's columns start from right to left (I guess the same is regarding the
text).
Looks like everything is in reverse comparing with regular English sheet.
What I need to know is how to programmatically find out that the opened
sheet is not English?
Your comments appreciated,
Jack

"Jack" <replyto@it wrote in message
Hello,
How to check programmatically if the text used in spreadsheet is
ANSI or UNICODE?
Are there are some Excel properties that indicate that?
Thanks,
Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

Jack:

I don't know squat about unicode, so these are guesses.

StrConv has a couple of unicode options, but I couldn't get them to work.
You may want to play around with it and see if you can make something useful
out of it. I tried

?activecell.text = StrConv(activecell.text, vbUnicode)

but it always returns false.

Another option I thought of was doing a Find. You could do a Find for
several different unicode characters.

?sheet1.Cells.Find(ChrW$(&H6C49),,xlvalues,xlwhole ) is nothing

I put a unicode character in a cell and did this find. I got false. If you
get true, that character doesn't exist. False means it does.

I hope you get something useful out of it.

--
Dick Kusleika
Microsoft MVP-Excel