Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default XLStart is empty but Personal is still running - sort of

XL2003 on XP on an old AMD xp2400 chip

I have taken my Personal.xls out of XLStart but it keeps running? Evidently
it is still there but windows cannot see it

The Personal.xls is currently 14mb

Each day I update my Personal program on a Compaq laptop with Vista and
transfer across using a USB drive. The vista machine (2.0gig duocore) is
incredibly unreliable and I do not know from one day to the next whether the
code will run. It is normal for vista to encounter a problem and wipe out
the vba code in the process.
I have been having the problem of the Personal.xls running when it is not in
the XLStart on the Vista laptop for sometime. But now it is showing up on
my XP desktop. The result is that I am currently out of business as the
program is the center of my investment business.
Can I simply remove the XLStart folder and create a new one. Or is there
some way of cleaning the folder. Everything I try seems to make the problem
worse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ta,
Martin Wheeler

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Martin Wheeler" wrote:

[...]

I have just removed the XLStart folder and had Office CD repair excel. But
I moved the Personal file to My Documents whilst the repair was being done.
Now the toolbar cannot find the macros in the XLStart folder,Personal file
How do I redirect the buttons?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe you have that personal.xls in the folder that excel uses when it opens.

Tools|Options|General tab
Make sure that the "at startup, open all files in:" textbox is empty.

If that's not it, open excel.
Unhide personal.xls if you have to (window|Unhide)

Then type:
=cell("Filename",a1)
in any cell

You'll see the location of this personal.xls.

=====
Depending on your upgrade path, you could have multiple XLStart folders.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The toolbar has icons that point at macros in workbooks. If you move the
workbook, you'll have to reassign the macros to the new location.

Open the file with the macros.
Tools|Customize (Just to see the dialog)
rightclick on each of the icons|Assign macro and point to the new personal.xls.

=====
I think your life will be lots easier if you create that toolbar when the
workbook opens and destroy it when the workbook closes.

Some references if you want to look at that option:

For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach
does it in his menumaker workbook:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
(from Debra Dalgleish's site)

And if you use xl2007:

If you want to learn about modifying the ribbon, you can start at Ron de Bruin's
site:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm
http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm -- For macros for all workbooks (saved as an
addin)
or
http://www.rondebruin.nl/2007addin.htm

In xl2007, those toolbars and menu modifications will show up under the addins.

<<snipped

#1) value vs. formula #2) personal.xls and xlstart pathway Neal Zimm Excel Programming 2 September 19th 06 09:16 PM
Shortcut to personal.xls in XLStart forlder Jackie Excel Programming 1 November 3rd 04 08:59 PM
Multiple users running macro from personal.xls TP[_3_] Excel Programming 0 August 22nd 03 04:11 PM