Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default #1) value vs. formula #2) personal.xls and xlstart pathway

Hi All -
#1)
I do a lot of character string manipulation in an application. If I'm
dealing with only text in a cell, what are the the practical differences, if
any, among the following ? I don't want to type more than I have to.

stringvar = range("c3")
stringvar = range("c3").value
stringvar = range("c3").formula

#2)
I don't know how to debug a situation that is bothersome.
2a) I know the pathway to the xlstart folder that contains personal.xls
2b) In D:\documents and settings\MyName\Application data\.......\xlstart the
personal.xls file DOES NOT open.
2c) for a different pathway, different desktop, same computer, the only
difference is instead of MyName, its DiffName, the personal.xls file does
open when excel starts.

How do I get 2b) above to work ? I am considering setting up a new desktop
and getting rid of the MyName one that does not appear to work well.

Thanks,
Neal Z.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JNW JNW is offline

Let's see if I can help on some of the questions.

By typing stringvar = range("c3") you've determined that you want stringvar
to be set to something having to do with that range but haven't said what.
Let's say C3 contains the formula =sum(a3:b3). If you type .value after the
range reference it stringvar will reflect the sum of A3 and B3. If you type
..formula then stringvar will equal "=sum(a3:b3)". Often if I am not sure how
to set things I will try what I think it should be then place a message box
immediately after to see if that is what I really wanted.

I don't think you can have more than one personal.xls file open in more than
one location. If it is something you use often enough, you may consider
making an add-in.

Excel by design only looks to specific file locations to find the
personal.xls files. These files are set up almost like Add-ins, in that they
don't open when double clicking like normal files do. If you have something
in your personal.xls then after opening Excel press Alt + F11 to get to the
VBA window. If you don't see a menu tree at the left then go through the
file menu till it shows (I believe it's called the project window). Look for
personal.xls and there you will find the code. You should be able to debug
from there.
--
JNW

Hi All -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi JN -
Thanks for the reply. I think you missed the point of my question #1.
I KNOW there is only text, characters, in a cell.
If I want to load a string var, with that cells contents, are there any
"below the suface" technical differences in the three examples I gave.
I know the difference between .value and .formula
I really am looking just to save some typing if the text gets into the
variable in exactly the same way among the three examples.
= cells(1,2)
=cells(1,2).value
=cells(1,2).formula

Thanks again.