Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Neal Zimm Neal Zimm is offline

Default #1) value vs. formula #2) personal.xls and xlstart pathway

Hi All -
#1)
I do a lot of character string manipulation in an application. If I'm
dealing with only text in a cell, what are the the practical differences, if
any, among the following ? I don't want to type more than I have to.

stringvar = range("c3")
stringvar = range("c3").value
stringvar = range("c3").formula

#2)
I don't know how to debug a situation that is bothersome.
2a) I know the pathway to the xlstart folder that contains personal.xls
2b) In D:\documents and settings\MyName\Application data\.......\xlstart the
personal.xls file DOES NOT open.
2c) for a different pathway, different desktop, same computer, the only
difference is instead of MyName, its DiffName, the personal.xls file does
open when excel starts.

How do I get 2b) above to work ? I am considering setting up a new desktop
and getting rid of the MyName one that does not appear to work well.

Thanks,
Neal Z.