Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Rebuilding a corrupted workbook

I have a large and complex worbook file that is starting to give me big
problems. Very slow performance when navigating between cells. Unexplainable
crashes of the VBA code which works great in other files.

I want to build a new workbook by copying all cells formulas, values,
format, VBA code etc.

I can copy every worsheet but I fear that I may copy the bug, I believe I
tried that and the problem persisted.

Other than copying manually the contents of each cell and format (and VBA
code) is there a way to copy the workbook while assuring a non-corrupted file?

Many thanks,

Antonio
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It's a pretty drastic step to rebuilt a workbook from scratch. I have had
some luck with flakey workbooks by saving them in the new Excel 2007 format,
exiting, restarting Excel, opening the XLSM, and saving in XLS format. If
you don't have Excel 2007 you can still do this with the Compatibility pack.

Jim
"Antonio" wrote in message
|I have a large and complex worbook file that is starting to give me big
| problems. Very slow performance when navigating between cells.
Unexplainable
| crashes of the VBA code which works great in other files.
|
| I want to build a new workbook by copying all cells formulas, values,
| format, VBA code etc.
|
| I can copy every worsheet but I fear that I may copy the bug, I believe I
| tried that and the problem persisted.
|
| Other than copying manually the contents of each cell and format (and VBA
| code) is there a way to copy the workbook while assuring a non-corrupted
file?

| Many thanks,
|
| Antonio

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

And to refresh a VB project only try Rob Bovey's Code Cleaner.

http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

--
Jim
"Antonio" wrote in message
|I have a large and complex worbook file that is starting to give me big
| problems. Very slow performance when navigating between cells.
Unexplainable
| crashes of the VBA code which works great in other files.
|
| I want to build a new workbook by copying all cells formulas, values,
| format, VBA code etc.
|
| I can copy every worsheet but I fear that I may copy the bug, I believe I
| tried that and the problem persisted.
|
| Other than copying manually the contents of each cell and format (and VBA
| code) is there a way to copy the workbook while assuring a non-corrupted
file?

| Many thanks,
|
| Antonio

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Saved from a previous post:

A few months ago, Jan Karel Pieterse was working on a workbook recreator.
http://www.jkp-ads.com

I searched his site, but didn't find any reference to this utility. (Maybe it's
not quite ready to share with the world???)

If you wanted to volunteer to be a guinea pig, you could contact him via his
site:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Contact.htm

The worst he could say would be no. He might want to hear your results and
knowing Jan Karel, if it didn't work, he'd want to get a copy of your workbook
so that he could improve his program.

Antonio wrote:

I have a large and complex worbook file that is starting to give me big
problems. Very slow performance when navigating between cells. Unexplainable
crashes of the VBA code which works great in other files.

I want to build a new workbook by copying all cells formulas, values,
format, VBA code etc.

I can copy every worsheet but I fear that I may copy the bug, I believe I
tried that and the problem persisted.

Other than copying manually the contents of each cell and format (and VBA
code) is there a way to copy the workbook while assuring a non-corrupted file?

Many thanks,

Antonio

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Jim and Dave,

Thank you for your great and solid inputs.

I have been lucky, I believe.

I realised that the slow navigation and VBA code got stuck when dealing with
a specific worksheet.

I have manually recreated that worksheet and copied the rest.

The new workbook seems to be working great.

Many thanks, I keep your advice for future needs.

Antonio