Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default InputBox

Hi, All

I have a macro which starts with InputBox. My Macro will only run
correctly without an error if and only if the user has typed the right
number of letters or numbers into the inputbox. PROBLEM IS........
even though I put Note on the inputbox saying "Check your digits, if
it is more than 10digits it will make an error" they still manage to
screw things up. sigh..

How do I lock the inputbox in such way that unless input is 'n' number
of digits exactly, it wouldn't even run the macro.

Do i use 'if' ?

orksheets("RU").Range("A1") = Application.InputBox("Type Cost Centre
Number, i.e.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Jun 17, 10:14*am, James8309 wrote:
Hi, All

I have a macro which starts with InputBox. My Macro will only run
correctly without an error if and only if the user has typed the right
number of letters or numbers into the inputbox. PROBLEM IS........
even though I put Note on the inputbox saying "Check your digits, if
it is more than 10digits it will make an error" *they still manage to
screw things up. sigh..

How do I lock the inputbox in such way that unless input is 'n' number
of digits exactly, it wouldn't even run the macro.

Do i use 'if' ?

orksheets("RU").Range("A1") = Application.InputBox("Type Cost Centre
Number, i.e.

In caase u need the input length to be made more than or equal to 10
and you do not want to proceed till the correct length is entered, you
can use sth like:

Sub read_input()
Dim value As String
Do While Len(value) < 10
value = Application.InputBox("Type Cost Centre number:")
Loop
Range("A1").value = value
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What you must do is validate the input BEFORE putting it into the vulnerable
cell. This code rrequires 10 digits exactly:

Sub Test()
Dim S As String
Dim OK As Boolean
Do
OK = True
S = InputBox("10 digits please:", , S)
If StrPtr(S) = 0 Then Exit Sub 'cancelled
If Not S Like "##########" Then OK = False '10 digits
Loop Until OK = True
Worksheets("RU").Range("A1") = S
End Sub

HTH. Best wishes Harald

Inputbox Ewing25 Excel Programming 7 May 2nd 08 03:16 PM
Need InputBox Help Dan Brimley Excel Programming 0 May 24th 07 11:48 PM
inputbox help kckar[_9_] Excel Programming 0 April 20th 06 07:24 AM
Inputbox and Application.InputBox Maria[_7_] Excel Programming 1 September 20th 04 11:36 AM
inputbox Lawson Excel Programming 2 October 7th 03 08:58 PM