Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2003 Markers

I have a request to chart data where I only want to display a marker every n
points, but still see the marker in the Legend.

I can do it by setting the MarkerStyle to a value, then go through every
point in the series and change it's markerstyle to xlNone. However, when
there are 1000's of datapoints per series, this takes a long time.

I can set the MarkerStyle to xlNone, then go through setting every nth point
to a marker, but then the MarkerStyle doesn't show up in the legend.

I can't seem to set the MarkerStyle in the LegendKey without affecting all
the points in a series.

Does anyone have a way I could see the Marker in the Legend Key, but only
have the marker visible for every Nth point, without having to iterate
through every point in every series?

Thanks,

Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

column A: x-values A1:A100
column B: y-values B1:B100
column C: IF(MOD(ROW(),10)=0,b1, NA()); copy down the column

chart A1:C100
The two data sets over lab but C has every 10th point - give it makers
delete/hide B in the chart as you see fit

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"INTP56" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Bernard for the idea. I created another WS and copied selected rows
out of the main dataset and put them in the same columns in the new
worksheet, but only using every nth point. I plotted them XYScatter with no
lines but markers, then added the full list with lines but no markers on the
secondary axis. In this case what the customer asked for was only about 10
markers per series, independent of the number of points in the series, but
leaving the rest of the plot intact to see variations between markers.

The "look" issue is still now I have twice as many entries in the legend as
I have plots. (From the user point of view.) I can make the text white so I
don't see any text for the full lines, but I can't seem to hide the legend
entry without hiding the series also.

If you have some example code that can create 3 XYScatter plots but only see
two entries in the legend, I would love to see it.

Thanks again, this is a quicker alternative that iterating through every
point in every series.

Bob

"INTP56" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

But you can delete legends and leave data series in chart -- it takes a
surgeon's skill but can be done
If you wish, continue this offline (ie private email)
best wishes
--

"INTP56" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

There is information here on deleting legend entries
http://www.andypope.info/charts/deletelegendentry.htm

Cheers
Andy

--