Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Any sample to connect a remoted database through Excel?

Does anyone have any sample to connect a remoted database through Excel?
I need to make a connection with a database in China, and I locate in HK.
Could anyone give me any suggestions on what I need to retrieve any data from
a database?
What I can think of is
URL, username, password, ...
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can try through an ODBC connection, depending of what DB you try to
connect. After that you only need to configure the connection in the DATA -
CONNECTIONS tab in Office Excel 2007.

Regards.

"Eric" escribió en el mensaje de
Does anyone have any sample to connect a remoted database through Excel?
I need to make a connection with a database in China, and I locate in HK.
Could anyone give me any suggestions on what I need to retrieve any data
from
a database?
What I can think of is
URL, username, password, ...
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assuming you have the ODBC drivers and a stable connection to the database
server then you should be able to use MS Query which you access via Data -
Import External Data - new Database Query.

That will allow you to read from the database. If you need to write back
then you will need to use VBA code with ADODB Recordsets.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Eric" wrote:

Does anyone have any sample to connect a remoted database through Excel?
I need to make a connection with a database in China, and I locate in HK.
Could anyone give me any suggestions on what I need to retrieve any data from
a database?
What I can think of is
URL, username, password, ...
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank everyone very much for any suggestions
Does anyone have any sample for download? therefore, I can see the approach.
I would like to do some coding.
Thank everyone very much for your quick response
Eric

"Eric" wrote:

Does anyone have any sample to connect a remoted database through Excel?
I need to make a connection with a database in China, and I locate in HK.
Could anyone give me any suggestions on what I need to retrieve any data from
a database?
What I can think of is
URL, username, password, ...
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank everyone very much for suggestions
Do you mean that I cannot connect ODBC through http?
As I remember that IP address, web site, username, password are given in
order to make any connection.
Could you please give me more describtion?
Thank you very much for your suggestion
Eric

"Eric" wrote in message
Does anyone have any sample to connect a remoted database through Excel?
I need to make a connection with a database in China, and I locate in HK.
Could anyone give me any suggestions on what I need to retrieve any data
from
a database?
What I can think of is
URL, username, password, ...
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank everyone very much for suggestions

Once I connect a data base through following code,
Could you please give me one example on retrieving data?
I would like to retrieve the variable "name" and "phone" under the table
"member", and insert into column A for name and column B for phone.
Could you please give me any suggestions?
Thank you very much for your suggestions
Eric

Dim adoCon As Object
Dim rsCommon As Object

Sub Variable()
strSQLServerName = "IP_address"
strSQLDBUserName = "Your_SQL_UserName"
strSQLDBPassword = "Your_SQL_Password"
strSQLDBName = "YOur_SQL_DBName"

strCon = "Server=" & strSQLServerName & ";User ID=" & strSQLDBUserName &
";Password=" & strSQLDBPassword & ";Database=" & strSQLDBName & ";"

Call openDatabase(strCon)

End Sub

Sub openDatabase(strCon)

strCon = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Connection Timeout=90;" & strCon
Set adoCon = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

On Error Resume Next
adoCon.connectionstring = strCon
adoCon.Open

If Err.Number < 0 Then MsgBox Err.Description, vbCritical
On Error GoTo 0

'Your recordset, so look for the fields you want using this rs object
Set rsCommon = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

'do your thing with the rs here
Set rsCommon = Nothing

End Sub

Sub closeDatabase()
If adoCon Is Not Nothing Then
adoCon.Close
Set adoCon = Nothing

"Eric" wrote in message
Does anyone have any sample to connect a remoted database through
Excel?
I need to make a connection with a database in China, and I locate in
HK.
Could anyone give me any suggestions on what I need to retrieve any
data
from
a database?
What I can think of is
URL, username, password, ...
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See below

Tim

"Eric" wrote in message
[...]

dim i, shtData
i=2
set shtData = this workbook.sheets("Members")
rsCommon.Open "select t.name, t.phone from member t", adoCon
if not rsCommon.EOF then
do while not rsCommon.EOF
shtData.cells(i,1).value=rsCommon.Fields("name").v alue
shtData.cells(i,2).value=rsCommon.Fields("phone"). value
i=i+1
rsCommon.movenext
loop
end if