Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Preview of a Excel-file in Outlook 2007

Hello,
I'm using Office 2007 SP1 on Windows Vista Business and have the following
problem:
* I start Excel and Outlook (order doesn't matter)
* I select in my Inbox a mail which contains a Excel-file as attachment
* Now I select that attachment in the preview-pane and see now a button to
view the attachment directly in Outlook
* If I click it then it is displayed in OL
If I take a look at the already started Excel while I start the preview in
Outlook then I can see that that Excel-file is opened for a moment in Excel
and closed immediately.
So far this is ok - but there are two problems with this:

1. After this it is no more possible to use the menus (ribbons) in Excel -
they just don't react anymore. If I change the size of the window then they
work again

2. I have a real complex application implemented in a Excel-AddIn which also
uses events. If I do the steps above while my application is started then
(no other Excel started) then Outlook just uses this Excel-instance to open
that attachment for a moment - although I have set the property
"IgnoreRemoteRequests" of the "Application"-object to TRUE in that
Excel-instance. The problem with this is that some events are fired which
make my application instable - but e.g. event "WorkbookOpen" is NOT fired.

Now I have the following questions to this:
* Exists in Excel 2007 maybe any new property like "IgnoreRemoteRequests"
which suppress this?
* Is it maybe somehow possible to define in Outlook NOT to use such
Excel-instances for the preview or even to define that Outlook always
creates its own Excel-instance?

The problem also can be redone on clients-system so that it seems to be a
common problem.
In common: I think this is a bug in Outlook 2007 as it should take care of
"IgnoreRemoteRequests".

Any help would be very great!

Thanks for your efforts in advance.

Kind regards,
Dirk Flakowski

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've looked at this for a long time and I have not found a way to keep
Outlook from using an open instance of Excel 2007 if it finds one, with the
sole exception of that instance being in data entry mode. Quite
frustrating.

--
Jim
"Dirk Flakowski (Megalith GmbH)" wrote in