Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dirk Flakowski \(Megalith GmbH\) Dirk Flakowski \(Megalith GmbH\) is offline

Default Preview of a Excel-file in Outlook 2007

Hello,
I'm using Office 2007 SP1 on Windows Vista Business and have the following
problem:
* I start Excel and Outlook (order doesn't matter)
* I select in my Inbox a mail which contains a Excel-file as attachment
* Now I select that attachment in the preview-pane and see now a button to
view the attachment directly in Outlook
* If I click it then it is displayed in OL
If I take a look at the already started Excel while I start the preview in
Outlook then I can see that that Excel-file is opened for a moment in Excel
and closed immediately.
So far this is ok - but there are two problems with this:

1. After this it is no more possible to use the menus (ribbons) in Excel -
they just don't react anymore. If I change the size of the window then they
work again

2. I have a real complex application implemented in a Excel-AddIn which also
uses events. If I do the steps above while my application is started then
(no other Excel started) then Outlook just uses this Excel-instance to open
that attachment for a moment - although I have set the property
"IgnoreRemoteRequests" of the "Application"-object to TRUE in that
Excel-instance. The problem with this is that some events are fired which
make my application instable - but e.g. event "WorkbookOpen" is NOT fired.

Now I have the following questions to this:
* Exists in Excel 2007 maybe any new property like "IgnoreRemoteRequests"
which suppress this?
* Is it maybe somehow possible to define in Outlook NOT to use such
Excel-instances for the preview or even to define that Outlook always
creates its own Excel-instance?

The problem also can be redone on clients-system so that it seems to be a
common problem.
In common: I think this is a bug in Outlook 2007 as it should take care of
"IgnoreRemoteRequests".

Any help would be very great!

Thanks for your efforts in advance.

Kind regards,