Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Tom is offline

Default Excel AVERAGE function

Greeting,

I have a list of integer value, and am wondering how to get the average of
the list but discarding the min and max from the list.For example:
list:
11
3
3
1
Average:
3
because (3 + 3) / 2 = 3

I don't want use macro. Can it be achieved in one Excel formula?

Thanks
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If the numbers are in cells A1:A10 (change as appropriate) then

=(SUM(A1:A10)-MAX(A1:A10)-MIN(A1:A10)/(COUNT(A1:A10)-2)

should do it (unless perhaps you have special rules about
what should happen if the min or max values occur more than
once).

On 15 Apr, 16:26, "Tom" wrote:
Greeting,

I have a list of integer value, and am wondering how to get the average of
the list but discarding the min and max from the list.For example:
list:
11
3
3
1
Average:
3
because (3 + 3) / 2 = 3

I don't want use macro. Can it be achieved in one Excel formula?

Thanks
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

the list but discarding the min and max from the list.For example:

Check out Trimmean()

=TRIMMEAN({11,3,3,1},2/4)
3

You want to remove 2 of the 4 numbers (or 0.5)

- -
HTH
Dana DeLouis

"Tom" wrote in message
Greeting,

I have a list of integer value, and am wondering how to get the average of
the list but discarding the min and max from the list.For example:
list:
11
3
3
1
Average:
3
because (3 + 3) / 2 = 3

I don't want use macro. Can it be achieved in one Excel formula?

Thanks
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Tom,

From your post, my understanding on this issue is: you wonder how to get an
average of a set of numbers after throwing out the highest and the lowest
values with one formula. If I'm off base, please feel free to let me know.

If you do not care when min or max values occur more than once, we can use
Andrew and Dan's great ideas:
=(SUM(A1:A6)-MAX(A1:A6)-MIN(A1:A6))/(COUNT(A1:A6)-2)
-or-
=TRIMMEAN(A1:A6,2/COUNT(A1:A6))

If you want to discard all the occurrence of the max and min values, we can
consider the AVERAGEIFS function new to Excel 2007:
=AVERAGEIFS(A1:A6,A1:A6,"<"&MAX(A1:A6),A1:A6,""&M IN(A1:A6))

Please let me know if you have any other concerns, or need anything else.

Regards,
Jialiang Ge , remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

.