Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel Average Function help

Hi guys,
Your help will be very much appreciated -
So here is my problem. I have a column that has 5 average values of 10
10
10
10
10
10
Now if I change the 3rd value (or 3rd row) to say 15 how do I make sure
that the average for the column remains the same (i.e. 10) but the
values in last 2 rows changes -- i.e it should be 7.5 and 7.5.
The values in the first two rows should not change and the cloumn
should appear as
10
10
15
7.5
7.5
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
spray2006

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If I understand: You have 5 values that have an average of 10. If one
of those values changes, you want to change one or more of the other
values so that the average remains 10.

I'm sure there are a lot of different approaches, my first thought
would be to use Solver. Set Target cell average equal to a value of 10
by changing the desired other cells subject to whatever constraints you
want to insure a unique solution. Note that the constraint "a4=a5" is
not allowed. You have to put the formula "=a4-a5" into another cell
and set the constraint b5=0.

--
MrShorty
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22181