Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Formula to sum non-adjacent cells

Excell 2003
I have a 3000+ line spreadsheet with totals in one column every 17th row.
What formula can I use to sum these totals?

Thanks
Jack
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Mar 27, 9:04*am, Jack_Feeman
wrote:
Excell 2003
I have a 3000+ line spreadsheet with totals in one column every 17th row.
What formula can I use to sum these totals?

Thanks
Jack

If the rest of the rows in that column are empty, you can just sum :)

Else, a =SUMIF( would work well if there was some way you could
differentiate those rows with a sum ... for example, if the word "sum"
was in a previous column you could use something like this:
=SUMIF(D1:E15,"sum",E1:E15)

HTH

Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the really quick reply Chris.
I will try your suggestion. I may have badly worded my question, here is a
better description:
"I have a 3000+ row spreadsheet with totals in the same column every 17th
row."
Would this clarification change your suggestion?

Thanks Jack

"cht13er" wrote:

On Mar 27, 9:04 am, Jack_Feeman
wrote:
Excell 2003
I have a 3000+ line spreadsheet with totals in one column every 17th row.
What formula can I use to sum these totals?

Thanks
Jack

If the rest of the rows in that column are empty, you can just sum :)

Else, a =SUMIF( would work well if there was some way you could
differentiate those rows with a sum ... for example, if the word "sum"
was in a previous column you could use something like this:
=SUMIF(D1:E15,"sum",E1:E15)

HTH

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Mar 27, 9:26*am, Jack_Feeman
wrote:
Thanks for the really quick reply Chris.
I will try your suggestion. I may have badly worded my question, here is a
better description:
"I have a 3000+ row spreadsheet with totals in the same column every 17th
row."
Would this clarification change your suggestion?

Thanks Jack

"cht13er" wrote:
On Mar 27, 9:04 am, Jack_Feeman
wrote:
Excell 2003
I have a 3000+ line spreadsheet with totals in one column every 17th row.
What formula can I use to sum these totals?

Thanks
Jack

If the rest of the rows in that column are empty, you can just sum :)

Else, a =SUMIF( would work well if there was some way you could
differentiate those rows with a sum ... for example, if the word "sum"
was in a previous column you could use something like this:
=SUMIF(D1:E15,"sum",E1:E15)

HTH

Chris- Hide quoted text -

So it's like
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
16
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
16

?

If so, the sum of the entire column is twice that of just the "every
17 rows" ...

Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jack-

You may find that you get more responses and ideas in
microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions, which has more of a focus on
worksheet formulas/functions. That said...

I think Chris was indicating that we still don't have enough information to
ensure the best solution. Does the column that contains the totals in every
17th row have other numbers or content inbetween the totals (row 1-16) or
are they all blank? If they are all blank (or blank and text), just sum the
whole column. If there are other numbers in rows 1-16 in that same column,
then one option is to find a text identifier in a different column that
/only/ occurs in the same rows as your totals (such as the word "Total").
Chris was suggesting that you use a formula that checks another column for
some unique word, and then only add up the information in your Totals column
from the rows that contain that unique word.

If the other cells in your totals column contain numbers /and/ there are no
unique identifiers on the totals rows (in other columns), then there are
probably several ways to do this- I'd be inclined to use an array formula.
You enter an array formula by entering the formula, then with the cursor
inside the cell, press Ctl-Shift-Enter. It is entered properly if the
formula (when you click back on the cell) has curly brackets { } around it.

Here is a working sample formula that you can use as a starting point.
Create a new worksheet and put some numbers in Column C, maybe rows 4
through 25. Then put this formula in a cell in another column (doesn't
matter where) and press Ctl-Shift-Enter. It should give you a total of the
numbers in cells 7,14,21, and so on (every 7 cells).

=SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(C4:C10000),7)=0,C4:C10000,0))

In your actual data worksheet you will need to modify the 7 to be the
correct number of rows, the column C to whatever column you need. Your end
result might look more like:

=SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(H4:H10000),17)=0,H4:H10000,0))

You may need to tell the formula what cell to start in, if the first total
is not actually in row 17 (e.g. if you have extra rows at the top of your
data, maybe containing information about the report or something). The
following change tells it that your first total is actually on row 19, and
every total after that is still 17 rows apart.

=SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(H4:H10000)-2,17)=0,H4:H10000,0))

Best of luck,
Keith

"Jack_Feeman" wrote in message
Thanks for the really quick reply Chris.
I will try your suggestion. I may have badly worded my question, here is a
better description:
"I have a 3000+ row spreadsheet with totals in the same column every 17th
row."
Would this clarification change your suggestion?

Thanks Jack

"cht13er" wrote:

On Mar 27, 9:04 am, Jack_Feeman
wrote:
Excell 2003
I have a 3000+ line spreadsheet with totals in one column every 17th
row.
What formula can I use to sum these totals?

Thanks
Jack

If the rest of the rows in that column are empty, you can just sum :)

Else, a =SUMIF( would work well if there was some way you could
differentiate those rows with a sum ... for example, if the word "sum"
was in a previous column you could use something like this:
=SUMIF(D1:E15,"sum",E1:E15)

HTH

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Heh, I like that solution even better 8-)
Keith

"cht13er" wrote in message
On Mar 27, 9:26 am, Jack_Feeman
wrote:
Thanks for the really quick reply Chris.
I will try your suggestion. I may have badly worded my question, here is a
better description:
"I have a 3000+ row spreadsheet with totals in the same column every 17th
row."
Would this clarification change your suggestion?

Thanks Jack

"cht13er" wrote:
On Mar 27, 9:04 am, Jack_Feeman
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Keith and Chris,

I really appreciate your quick and specific responses. I will try your
suggestions based on your assumptions. I will let you know either way if it
works or not.

"Ker_01" wrote:

[...]

"cht13er" wrote:

On Mar 27, 9:04 am, Jack_Feeman
wrote:
Excell 2003
I have a 3000+ line spreadsheet with totals in one column every 17th
row.
What formula can I use to sum these totals?

Thanks
Jack

If the rest of the rows in that column are empty, you can just sum :)

Else, a =SUMIF( would work well if there was some way you could
differentiate those rows with a sum ... for example, if the word "sum"
was in a previous column you could use something like this:
=SUMIF(D1:E15,"sum",E1:E15)

HTH

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jack,

Supose you data is in column A, you could add in column B this formula :
=MOD(ROW(A1),17)
Fill down

And sum whre the result = 0
=SUMIF(B:B,0,A:A)