Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Dependent dropdown query - hiding items selected in prior column

Background: I'm creating a reporting sheet in excel for an exercise research
trial. The report will show the type of exercise used in each session, and
any progressions. Multiple progressions are relevant to each exercise, and
the programme deliverer may need to record one or more progressions for each
exercise used. (I've set this out in columns of exercise, progression 1,
progression 2...). To reduce human error while reporting when multiple
progressions have been used in a single session, I would like to be able to
hide items already selected in the previous column.

I've got as far as creating dropdown lists based on the selection made in
the prior column (using INDIFFERENT in the data validation source box) which
is working well. I've had a long browse through this forum (including using
combo boxes instead of data validation, and
http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal03.html), but I'm struggling to adapt it
successfully to hide previously selected items.

All thoughts welcome, and my apologies if this has been asked and answered
elsewhere and I've overlooked it,

many thanks for your assistance

Juliet

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe the sample file here will help a bit mo

Under Data Validation, look for 'DV0047 - Hide Previously Used Items in
Dependent Lists'

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Dependent dropdown query - hiding items selected in prior colu

Thanks Debra for the prompt response. I did see this example previously but
I'll work on orienting the formula to hid selection made in previous column
rather than row, and post again if still having problems.

Thanks again

Juliet

Juliet wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There's another example that doesn't have dependent lists, but hides
selections made in previous columns:

DV0016 - Assign Employees to Single Task Per Day

If you're still stuck, you could give a bit more detail on the sheet
layout, with an example of how the dependent lists should work. Then
someone might be able to give you some specific help.