Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help with external drop down lists

I have been working to make some drop down list but I have been unsuccessful
so far. I figured I would let you all know what I am trying to do and see if
I am approaching this the wrong way.
What I want is to have a Excel workbook for Quotes. In this workbook I want
to have a drop down list that will allow someone to pick a type of equipment.
Then I want a second drop down list that will be varied based on what was
picked in the first drop down list. Finally I want a price place in a third
box based on the second drop down list. Sounds easy enough but here is the
twist and the hard part. The drop down list source needs to be external
because there are many changes that happen to it regularly so we need to be
able to go to one central location and change a price or add a entry to the
list so it will affect the quotes when they are opened rather than having to
change each quote individually which would be virtually impossible.

Thanks for any help and feel free to ask any question that I can answer to
help define the problem.

Wayne Drummond

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

By "external" do you mean that the master source is a different excel
file, or an access file?

If you pick two things e.g. type of equipment and then a list of
something associated with what was selected only to get a quote
returned, it would be super easy to do (I'd probably put that $ value
in a cell, not a box - or else run the whole thing in a userform).

I've done something else really similar to this with an Access
database and a bunch of drop-down comboboxes ... please just clarify
where your source data is.

Chris

"WDrummond" wrote:
[...]

Wayne Drummond- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would prefer it in a seperate Excel file but Access would work as well.

To hopefully simplify it more for the part Im working on now I want 3
boxes. The first I want a drop down list from an external workbook
preferably. (So they can pick Network devices, controllers, Sensors...ect.)
The second I want another drop down list from an external workbook preferably
based on the first. (That way if the pick network devices it will only have
those devices rather than all devices) the third is the price from and
external workbook preferably. The basis or reason for this is so we have a
central point to edit the lists of devices and prices.

It is not easy to get what I want in my head onto paper as words but I hope
this helps.

Thanks,
Wayne

"WDrummond" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm putting something together for you right now ...

Chris