Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Refedit problems after installing SP3 to Office 2003

The experience of receiving the message: "Could not load object because
it is not available on this machine" and then having refedit controls
"going missing" missing from (previously created) userforms is precisely
what I continue to experience (in Office 2003) even after following the
steps that worked for Bob Flanagan; regrettably, I have no spouse to
offer up and Bob's suggested steps did not work for me.

In my instance, I had 3 versions of Office installed on my machine
(2000, 2002 & 2003) when I installed SP3 to Office 2003. The
"unavailable object" message and refedit controls "going missing"
problems manifested themselves with ALL 3 versions of Excel, not just
2003.

My current situation refedit.dll and ".exd" files, after
re-installing Office 2003 Std Edition on 3/6/08 , is as follows
(spelling and capitalization is exactly as shown):

in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\VBE:
MSForms.exd, 147Kb, 3/6/08
RefEdit.exd, 15Kb, 3/6/08

in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\Excel8.0:
MSForms.exd, 226Kb, 3/6/08

in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11:
Refedit.dll, 78Kb, 5/8/03

At the time I first experienced these messages and errors (and had 3
versions of Excel installed) I did a search for ".exd" files and
uncovered 3 instances of another file: MSComctLib.exd, all under
"C:\Docs & Settings\Administrator" the first in \Local
Settings\Temp\VBE, a second in \Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Forms and the third in
\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms. All files bore a "date modified" of
4/24/07 but the one in \Temp\VBE was 138Kb in size while the other 2
were both exactly the same size at 166Kb.

I deleted all 3 of these files but none of them files has ever
"re-appearred" in all the re-installations of Office 2003 that I have
tried.

As all 3 versions of Excel on my machine were "infected" with the
problem, it seems that the promblem runs deeper; is it possible that
something in the registry got "whacked" when I originally installed SP3?

Bill Freund