Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Need to find all 9-digit numbers

In a single column, I need to be able to find all nine-digit numbers.
All the numbers are different, but they all have nine digits. It seems
like I could do this in Word, but I can't figure out how to do it in
Excel.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Mar 4, 3:00 pm, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 11:48:21 -0800 (PST), wrote:
In a single column, I need to be able to find all nine-digit numbers.
All the numbers are different, but they all have nine digits. It seems
like I could do this in Word, but I can't figure out how to do it in
Excel.

Thanks!

Typing FIND into the help bar and select Find text or numbers.

You can use wildcard characters so you would type ????????? (9 ?'s) into the
Find What box; and also select <match entire cell contents under Options.

--ron

Ron, thanks! I figured that was the only way to do it. I wanted to
know if I could search specifically for nine *digits* because nine
letters also gets found.

Thanks again!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Non-VBA solution

=AND(ISNUMBER(A1),LEN(A1)=9) entered in B1 and double-clicked to copy down.

Will return true or false.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP