Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Compile error in hidden module: "Module Name"

Hello,

I have been using Excel 2000 & 2003 to write macros and addins that would
run on both Excel 2000 & 2003. Recently I have install SP3 on my Excel 2003
machine and now whenever I save my addins with this version it does not run
anymore in Excel 2000. I now get the message: "Compile error in hidden
module: ModuleName".
I Googled the error and the only solution I found was to update Adobe
Acrobat, solution definitely not related to my problem...

Any idea?

Thank you.

Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do your addins still compile on a 2000 machine? As a guess when you got the
upgrade it has changed a reference such as Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects or
such. On the 2000 machine try to compile. Also look at the Tools -
References and look for anything marked missing.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Eric" wrote:

Hello,

I have been using Excel 2000 & 2003 to write macros and addins that would
run on both Excel 2000 & 2003. Recently I have install SP3 on my Excel 2003
machine and now whenever I save my addins with this version it does not run
anymore in Excel 2000. I now get the message: "Compile error in hidden
module: ModuleName".
I Googled the error and the only solution I found was to update Adobe
Acrobat, solution definitely not related to my problem...

Any idea?

Thank you.

Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim,

I took a recently compiled/saved Excel 2003 addin to Excel 2000 giving the
same error and checked the references. The "Ref Edit Control" reference is
missing and the line triggering the error is: "OriginalWorkbook =
ActiveWorkbook.Name"
What's interesting is that I have sent the same addin to a friend running a
non SP3 Excel 2003 and he gets the error.
When I look at the DLL location for this reference, it points to the wrong
folder, ie ...\OFFICE11\REFEDIT.DLL. If I look at a backup of the same addin
compiled with Excel 2000, the DLL location for this reference seems right
....\office\refedit.dll, thus not missing.
Could it be possible that SP3 changed the location of that DLL? Which would
explain why it doesn't work anymore for Excel 2000 or non SP3 Excel 2003?

Thank you.

Eric

"Eric" wrote:

Hello,

I have been using Excel 2000 & 2003 to write macros and addins that

would
run on both Excel 2000 & 2003. Recently I have install SP3 on my Excel

2003
machine and now whenever I save my addins with this version it does not

run
anymore in Excel 2000. I now get the message: "Compile error in hidden
module: ModuleName".
I Googled the error and the only solution I found was to update Adobe
Acrobat, solution definitely not related to my problem...

Any idea?

Thank you.

Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave,

It seems to be a reference location problem, different from 2000 to 2003, at
least post SP3.

Thank you.

Eric