Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Disable screensavers from Excel

To whom it may concern,

Is there a way to disable the Windows XP screen saver from an Excel macro?
I'm using Excel 2003, and a "National Company" version of Windows XP where
the control of the screensaver has been removed from the users. When I'm
running an Excel macro over a large data file, the screensaver starts to
activate. As the CPU's resources are being used by Excel at the time, the PC
freezes. I'm wondering if there's some code that can be added to the macro
to prevent that.

--
Andrew
Telstra Fleet

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...el.programming
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Give this one a go...

I got this one from
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5283ecbd9e0c60

I still think either a reboot or a logoff/logon may be required for this to
take effect.

Option Explicit

Sub DisableScreenSaver()
Dim WShShell, Value, Saved
Dim Password
'Password=Inputbox ("Enter Password")
'If Password < "running" then Wscript.quit
Set WShShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
On Error Resume Next
Value = WShShell.RegRead("HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveActive")
Saved = WShShell.RegRead("HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\SaveScreenSaved")
Err.Clear
'MsgBox Value & "-" & Saved
On Error GoTo 0
If Saved < "1" Then
WShShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\SaveScreenSave", Value
WShShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\SaveScreenSaved", "1"
WShShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveActive", "0"

Sub RestoreScreenSaver()
Dim WShShell, Value, Saved
Set WShShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
On Error Resume Next
Value = WShShell.RegRead("HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\SaveScreenSave")
Saved = WShShell.RegRead("HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\SaveScreenSaved")
Err.Clear
'MsgBox Value & "-" & Saved
On Error GoTo 0
If Saved = "1" Then
WShShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveActive",
Value
WShShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\SaveScreenSaved", "0"
End If
'WScript.Quit (0)
End Sub

Mark Ivey

"Andrew at Fleet" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark,

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a go.
--
Andrew
Telstra Fleet

"Mark Ivey" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Mark,

I think I can use this code. The location of the values with the registry
differs slightly, but I can update that. But, I do believe that I'll have to
reboot the PC to allow the changes to be saved. So, do you know of any code
to ask the user to reboot the PC? I would prefer a YesNo box that would
allow a choice, but I can add that later.

TIA
--
Andrew
Telstra Fleet

"Mark Ivey" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Although I have not tested these...

You might try one of these methods at:

http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=515

"Mark Ivey" wrote:

[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then