Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I disable Help in Excel

I am giving my students an exam using Excel 2007, but the help ? function
allows them to cheat. Does anyone know how I can disable it? Especially,
the type that pops up when a mistake gets made in a formula. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I wouldn't regard making sensible use of help as cheating. It is an
important part of the use of Excel, and if more people made sensible use of
Excel help we wouldn't have to keep answering the same unnecessary questions
in the newsgroups (and we could concentrate on the more interesting
questions).

It would help if a few more people would read item 11 (and others) in
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/posting.htm beore posting here.
--
David Biddulph

"help" wrote in message
I am giving my students an exam using Excel 2007, but the help ? function
allows them to cheat. Does anyone know how I can disable it? Especially,
the type that pops up when a mistake gets made in a formula. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

help wrote:
I am giving my students an exam using Excel 2007, but the help ? function
allows them to cheat. Does anyone know how I can disable it? Especially,
the type that pops up when a mistake gets made in a formula. Thanks

I taught computer science classes for 20 years and never disabled the
help function in any of my lab exams. The help system is part of the
program and students should learn how to use it. And my lab exams were
"open book" too. The cheating that I worried about and monitored closely
was student-to-student help.

Once I caught a student using a hand calculator during an Excel exam and
writing down the numerical results on his spreadsheet. Of course that's
easy to check -- just display the formulas only on his Excel worksheet
and see that there aren't any!

Bill