Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Copying from one cell to another cell

Basically the procedure involves me copying a value from Cell C3 from Sheet3
into a Range of cells on Sheet1, the reason why I don't specify the cells on
Sheet1 is because I am not only copying into one cell on Sheet1. Sheet3 is
basically updated everyday, so I basically want to copy the values from the
cell in Sheet3 into Sheet1 but not overwriting the data that is already just
basically adding to the data that is already there, the column that I'm
copying the data into is Column D on Sheet1. I basically want to do the
samething for Sheet3 Cell C4, basically copying data from that cell into
column E on Sheet1, and also doing the samething for Sheet4, copying Cell C3
from Sheet4 into column H on Sheet1. There is already data on Sheet1 so I
would just like to add to what is already there without overwriting anything.
I recorded a macro, which you can see below:

Sub Macro2()

Sheets("Sheet3").Select
Range("C3").Select
Selection.Copy
Sheets("Sheet1").Select
Range("D8").Select
SkipBlanks _
:=False, Transpose:=False
Sheets("Sheet3").Select
Range("C4").Select
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Selection.Copy
Sheets("Sheet1").Select
Range("E8").Select
SkipBlanks _
:=False, Transpose:=False
Sheets("Sheet4").Select
Range("C3").Select
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Selection.Copy
Sheets("Sheet1").Select
Range("H8").Select
SkipBlanks _
:=False, Transpose:=False
Application.CutCopyMode = False
ActiveWorkbook.Save
End Sub

Basically the macro only works for one cell, but it overwrites the data that
is already within the cells on sheet1, I just want it to add to that data
that is already there, so if you can help me with this it would be greatly
appreciated, thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If I understand you correctly..

You have a value on Sheet3 Range C3 and Range C4 (the source) which you wish
to add to the values already in Sheet1 Column D or Column E (the target).

How do you wish to specify the target range? The whole of column D and E or
something else?

Should be straightforward given the conditions. Post your specifc needs

Nigel

"drinese18" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Basically I want to copy the values into one cell at a time, every day I
would come in and update the sheet, so I want to copy the data from the
source sheet into cells on the destination sheet. Not overwriting anything
just adding to the data that is already there, for instance, if there is data
already in D8 that was added from the previous day, today when I get in and
update the source sheets, I want to copy the data automatically into D9 and
the same process goes on each day, D10, D11 and so on.

"drinese18" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sub CopyData()
With Sheets("Sheet1")
.Range("D" & .Cells(.Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row + 1) =
Sheets("Sheet3").Range("C3")
.Range("E" & .Cells(.Rows.Count, "E").End(xlUp).Row + 1) =
Sheets("Sheet3").Range("C4")
End With

Nigel

"drinese18" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do you have a Sheets named, Sheet1 and Sheet3 - they appear in the sheet
tabs?

Are the sheets unprotected?

On what line is the error occurring?

Nigel

"drinese18" wrote in message
[...]

Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues,
Operation:=xlNone,
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The error basically comes up in this line:

"Sheets("IndexVal").Range("C3").Range ("E" & Cells(Rows.Count,
"E").End(xlUp).Row + 1)"

The name of the sheet which is Sheet 3 is IndexVal and sheet 1 is the Main,
does it allow it to copy because I don't see any copypaste method within the
code

"drinese18" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That's a bit different to the code I supplied!

Just change where it said Sheet1 with Main and Sheet3 with IndexVal, there
is no need to use copy paste as we are assigning the values directly.

Sub CopyData()
With Sheets("Main")
.Range("D" & .Cells(.Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row + 1) _
= Sheets("IndexVal").Range("C3")
.Range("E" & .Cells(.Rows.Count, "E").End(xlUp).Row + 1) _
= Sheets("IndexVal").Range("C4"
End With
End Sub

Note: I have added continuation to avoid the wraps

Nigel

"Nigel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well it didn't bring up any errors but it didn't work, it didn't copy the
values from IndexVal to Main, I mean the values are already on IndexVal just
want to basically copy the values that are in the sheet IndexVal to the Main
sheet. The values when they are downloaded are saved within the cell C3, when
the value has been downloaded there, I basically copy and paste the value
from IndexVal!C3 into Main column D, now the values have to be updated on a
daily basis, thats what I'm saying that it should just add to whatever value
that is already on the sheet, for instance I have column D which contains
different values based on the date they were copied in the Column on the Main
sheet. So for Friday I had 5000, for today when I download the values again
from our database into IndexVal, I have to copy tthe data there into the Main
sheet in Column D. I just want to copy and paste values from one cell to
another cell without overwriting any data on the sheet. Please if you could
help me with this it would be extremely great, thanks

"Nigel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The code I supplied does work as follows, it takes the value on IndexVal!C3
and put it in the next empty row in Sheet Main column D, and Cell C4 into
next empty cell in Main Column E. If that is what you want ?

Nigel