Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tom Hardy

Default Copying formulas from cell to cell to cell to.......

Probably simple, but I can't find answer. I want to copy a formula from 1
cell to a lot of other cells. When you do this, any cell addresses in the
formula change based on where you copied the formula to. How can I make 1 of
the cell addresses in the formula stay the same no matter where I copy it? It
would be a "constant" in my formula and only changed from a "data entry
sheet".

Thanks, Tom

Example: In A1 I might have: =(C1*D1)+742
If I move this to A2, it will become: +(C2*D2)+742

I want D1 to remain the same. ??????
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Miguel Zapico

Use the $ sign to fix the cell and/or the row. Something like:
=(C1*$D$1)+742
If you press F4 when you are entering the cell address, the dollar signs
will appear, you can keep pressing it to see all the options.

Hope this helps,
Miguel.

"Tom Hardy" wrote:

Probably simple, but I can't find answer. I want to copy a formula from 1
cell to a lot of other cells. When you do this, any cell addresses in the
formula change based on where you copied the formula to. How can I make 1 of
the cell addresses in the formula stay the same no matter where I copy it? It
would be a "constant" in my formula and only changed from a "data entry
sheet".

Thanks, Tom

Example: In A1 I might have: =(C1*D1)+742
If I move this to A2, it will become: +(C2*D2)+742

I want D1 to remain the same. ??????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

Try this:

=C1*$D$1+742

If you were to insert a new row 1 the formula would automatically adjust for
the row insertion and become:

=C2*$D$2+742

If you still want the formula to refer to D1 in those situations:

=C1*INDIRECT("D1")+742

That will ALWAYS refer to D1 no matter what you do.

Biff

"Tom Hardy" <u23040@uwe wrote in message news:61c912b0d9c5c@uwe...
Probably simple, but I can't find answer. I want to copy a formula from 1
cell to a lot of other cells. When you do this, any cell addresses in the
formula change based on where you copied the formula to. How can I make 1
of
the cell addresses in the formula stay the same no matter where I copy it?
It
would be a "constant" in my formula and only changed from a "data entry
sheet".

Thanks, Tom

Example: In A1 I might have: =(C1*D1)+742
If I move this to A2, it will become: +(C2*D2)+742

I want D1 to remain the same. ??????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tom Hardy via OfficeKB.com

Thanks Miguel; works perfect!

Miguel Zapico wrote:
Use the $ sign to fix the cell and/or the row. Something like:
=(C1*$D$1)+742
If you press F4 when you are entering the cell address, the dollar signs
will appear, you can keep pressing it to see all the options.

Hope this helps,
Miguel.

Probably simple, but I can't find answer. I want to copy a formula from 1
cell to a lot of other cells. When you do this, any cell addresses in the

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

I want D1 to remain the same. ??????